Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to make a quilt soft and cuddly

I just got a quilt back from the LAQ and it's beautiful...but not exactly soft and cuddly. (After I finish the hand work on the binding, I'll wash it.) In this case it's not important because it's a bed quilt, but I usually make lap quilts, which I want to feel really nice.

So what are the factors in assuring it will be soft and cuddly?

I typically use warm and natural batting...and try for good quality fabric. I suspect the density (?) of the quilting makes a difference...but would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks so much!

it's been my experience that the less quilting makes it more soft and cuddly. but maybe someone else has more ideas

Pam
    If it is heavily quilted, it will be stiffer. Some like to put a flannel back on,that gives it another texture on the reverse side.

If you want it really soft and cuddly use the poly fiber batting instead of the warm and natural. I like the W&N for table toppers, wall hangings, and sometimes in a quilt but I really like the soft feel of the poly in a bed quilt. I know that others won't agree but this is my personal opinion. You can even try the different lofts but I've found that the high loft is hard to quilt--it's better for tied quilts. If I want a tied quilt to be even more fluffy (like a boughten comforter) I've been known to use two layers of high loft but it's hot to sleep under.

Blog Entries
    Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting gets softer with every washing, so this is the one I use exclusively.

I used to use Warm 'n' Natural, but that is a batting that is needlepunched through scrim. This makes the drape of it stiffer.

More quilting makes a quilt stiffer, but also the type of thread makes a difference. Finer thread will not stiffen the quilt as much as regular weight thread. So Fine is an example of a finer weight quilting thread.

I like a good poly batting, Quilters Dream makes several. I also try to have a soft hand (feel) on the backing fabric, although it's not always possible to really know how soft a fabric is until the quilt is finished and washed. May in Jersey

Blog Entries
    My quilts have warm and natural batting and are generally only stitched in the ditch. They are pliable and as soft as a hug. The more they are washed, the softer they get.

Now that you mention it, the ones I have quilted a bit less are the ones that are softer.

My quilts with poly batting are softer. I still love warm and natural but will use poly in some for a softer feel. Lots of quilting will make a quilt less flexible.....more stiff.....still it sure is pretty.

As a LAQ, I've noticed the following:

The more stitching, the firmer the quilt.
    W&N is great for wall hangings, table toppers, etc., but not for cuddly quilts.
    Hobbs POlydown or Heirloom cotton makes a cuddly quilt, as does the Quilters Dream cotton.
    A finer thread does help, but it's mostly the amount of thread that makes the difference.

Hope this helps :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast