Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: MINKY, so cuddly and soft, such a pain to sew!

Unhappy MINKY, so cuddly and soft, such a pain to sew!

Am trying to use minky for backing on a quilt. Have 4 different colors of it and have pieced the back. Now, I am skipping stitches all of the time. Took the time to clean my machine out of all the fuzz. Tried sewing with a test strip of cotton and it sewed just right. Switched back to the minky, skipping stitches all of the time. I have a BabyLock Quilters Choice, which I have no problem with, until this. I am folding this quilt up and not sewing until I can figure what is wrong. Anyone else have something similar happen. Thanks. And IF I get this one done, no more minky for me.

Blog Entries
    Oh wow. i was getting ready to purchase some Minky if I could find it for a good price. Might have to wait to see what everyone else says.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

i love minky and have used it on two
    baby quilts. but i do not fmq. i couldnt do
    it so took it to our local quilt shop and let
    her do it. she does a fantastic job.

Yes, the funny thing is one color of the four colors I have used is causing me the most problem. Wish I knew why, worst comes to worst, I will take apart what I have sewn and replace with flannel. Forget the minky. You know, I wondered why, it has been marked down at fabric store and no one is buying. Now I know why.

I would not even attempt free motion, this is straight sewing.

I made a baby blanket out of the "puffy dot" minky in white and put a soft white flannel on the back. I used my embroidery machine and embroideried hearts on it for the quilting. I also monogrammed it on the embroidery machine with the baby's name and birthdate. I bought the white satin blanket binding and put around it. No problems, except for fuzzies.
    I am now finishing up a quilt, throw size, for a little girl that had bunnies on it and I used white minky for the appliqued bunnies. Did the quilting on my embroidery machine without a problem.
    Hope you can solve the mystery problem. I did use poly thread (Mettler) in the quilting and appligue on both quilts. Maybe you could try that.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Funny you mention that, I had Mettler Poly in top and bottom when I started and after all the trouble I switched to Gutterman, no difference. Although, in other sewing I do like the Mettler. Oh well. I need a break from this little sewing catastrophe. Maybe I will clean the fridge???

Not sure what needle you are using. When sewing on Minky a ball point needle is recomended. It sure sounds like you have a needle issue. I also use my walking foot and increase the stitch lenght.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Not sure what needle you are using. When sewing on Minky a ball point needle is recomended. It sure sounds like you have a needle issue. I also use my walking foot and increase the stitch lenght.
    Thanks for the advice, almost certain I do not have a ball needle, will check. I did increase the stitch length.

I've never had any problems sewing on Minky (or the Joann equivalent), but boy, that stuff can shed!

I have used Minky (from JoAnn's) for 30"x40" approx quilt. I pinned the quilt top with ALOT of pins since Minky tends to shift. Once I had the Minky nice and tightly pinned, I did straight line sewing (in the ditch actuallly) and didn't have any issues.

Minky is hard to sew with, from what I have found, because of the shifting so much. Pinning every couple of inches while making sure it is tight has helped greatly.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Power Poster
    I have never sewn with Minky but I would think you would have to treat it like a knit fabric. Use a ball point or knit needle, try not to stretch it as you quilt and do a simple design.

The best way to do test stitching is to use exactly the same fabric/layers that you are making/quilting.

I find I prefer to stabillize minkee when I use it. I just finished one that had no batting and I used 505 to attach the minkee to a piece of muslin (that I had washed a couple of times to get all the shrink out) -- I have also spray-basted it to batting and to the quilt top (if I am not using batting). Minkee has 2 issues -- it is a knit and the back is very slippery -- by attaching it to the muslin, both of the problems were minimized. I have a healthy respect for anything that is that stretchy and that slippery.

From what I have heard, the LA folks do not have the problems that I have seen on a domestic machine.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, am going to pick up needles tomorrow when I am out. See I can end up in a quilt shop even when I do not want to and be tempted!

Blog Entries
    this would be my suggestion also. minky is strechy fabric and you need a ballpoint needle for it. that should help to stop the skipped stitches. ask me how i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post

Blog Entries
    I just made two throws today with Minky and had no problems. I zig zagged the self binding and it worked great.

Try using a strip of wash away stabilizer. I've had to resort to that before. After you sew the seam you can just spritz the stablilizer with water to dissolve it.

If the new needle does not work, yes the stabilizer will certainly be worth a try. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    what kind/size needle are you using? minky is a polyester knit- a knit needle (ball point) may help- i've backed about a dozen quilts with minky and found i have the best luck when using a good/new/knit needle- and poly thread- also slow down- and lengthen your stitch length.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I completely agree to always take minky to a long-arm quilter. The price is ALWAYS BUT ALWAYS worth my sanity!!
    "Worry is about doing something you can do nothing about."

I just started piecing this last week. Ball point needle, increase stitch length, for sewing two pieces of minky together I was using a 2.5-3 stitch length. Also you need to baste it really well because of the stretchiness. I have only sewn mine together, haven't quilted it yet so I will be watching for answers, but i would imagine you would need to lower the pressure on the presser foot as well. I will be using my walking foot as mine is a strip quilt.

I just finished making a little "tag" blanket with Minky. I hat the stuff! It moved and stretched to the point I had to trim more, and that messed up my block on the front! So it sounds like using the ball needle is the trick. I learn so much from here!

I have picked up both the ball needles and washaway stabilizer. Put it down for a few days and did a few other things, now I am going to have to give it another go. Thanks for responses.

i love minkee as well, have never had any problems with it esp on my long arm, only bad thing is having to rip out stitches you dont want in there, you have to know which way it stretches, spary basting could work for you, alsew try a new needle, as sometimes when they are dull, they do tend to skip, you could also have a burr on your needle and not know it.
    dont give up!!
    katz