Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   MINKY, so cuddly and soft, such a pain to sew! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/minky-so-cuddly-soft-such-pain-sew-t177974.html)

judylg 02-03-2012 05:07 AM

MINKY, so cuddly and soft, such a pain to sew!

Am trying to use minky for backing on a quilt. Have 4 different colors of it and have pieced the back. Now, I am skipping stitches all of the time. Took the time to clean my machine out of all the fuzz. Tried sewing with a test strip of cotton and it sewed just right. Switched back to the minky, skipping stitches all of the time. I have a BabyLock Quilters Choice, which I have no problem with, until this. I am folding this quilt up and not sewing until I can figure what is wrong. Anyone else have something similar happen. Thanks. And IF I get this one done, no more minky for me.

owlvamp 02-03-2012 05:19 AM

Oh wow. i was getting ready to purchase some Minky if I could find it for a good price. Might have to wait to see what everyone else says.

Joset 02-03-2012 05:35 AM

i love minky and have used it on two
baby quilts. but i do not fmq. i couldnt do
it so took it to our local quilt shop and let
her do it. she does a fantastic job.

judylg 02-03-2012 05:36 AM

Yes, the funny thing is one color of the four colors I have used is causing me the most problem. Wish I knew why, worst comes to worst, I will take apart what I have sewn and replace with flannel. Forget the minky. You know, I wondered why, it has been marked down at fabric store and no one is buying. Now I know why.

judylg 02-03-2012 05:37 AM

I would not even attempt free motion, this is straight sewing. :(

Drue 02-03-2012 05:46 AM

I made a baby blanket out of the "puffy dot" minky in white and put a soft white flannel on the back. I used my embroidery machine and embroideried hearts on it for the quilting. I also monogrammed it on the embroidery machine with the baby's name and birthdate. I bought the white satin blanket binding and put around it. No problems, except for fuzzies.
I am now finishing up a quilt, throw size, for a little girl that had bunnies on it and I used white minky for the appliqued bunnies. Did the quilting on my embroidery machine without a problem.
Hope you can solve the mystery problem. I did use poly thread (Mettler) in the quilting and appligue on both quilts. Maybe you could try that.

judylg 02-03-2012 06:16 AM

Funny you mention that, I had Mettler Poly in top and bottom when I started and after all the trouble I switched to Gutterman, no difference. Although, in other sewing I do like the Mettler. Oh well. I need a break from this little sewing catastrophe. Maybe I will clean the fridge??? :)

Lori S 02-03-2012 06:23 AM

Not sure what needle you are using. When sewing on Minky a ball point needle is recomended. It sure sounds like you have a needle issue. I also use my walking foot and increase the stitch lenght.

judylg 02-03-2012 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 4937966)
Not sure what needle you are using. When sewing on Minky a ball point needle is recomended. It sure sounds like you have a needle issue. I also use my walking foot and increase the stitch lenght.

Thanks for the advice, almost certain I do not have a ball needle, will check. I did increase the stitch length.

willferg 02-03-2012 07:25 AM

I've never had any problems sewing on Minky (or the Joann equivalent), but boy, that stuff can shed!