Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many people does it take to load a quilting machine? >

How many people does it take to load a quilting machine?

How many people does it take to load a quilting machine?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 AM

Seriously!! I loaded a new quilt on my machine last night and it took me almost 2 hours!!! I know I'm new at this, but is this normal? I always have my husband help roll the fabric while I try to keep it straight and tight. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 AM

me too Sista! I'm thinking of getting zippers for my leaders because by the time I get one all pinned on and ready to go my back hurts and I'm too tired to start quilting. Maybe neither of us know what we're doing. :oops:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM

I prefer having two people to load it. I've done it by myself, but spend a lot of the time growling. You do get a bit faster with practice.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM

It takes me 1-2 hours to load one on my frame, too. That's backing, batting and top. I only pin the backing, though. Once I have the backing pinned, I roll the batting, then I sew a line across the end of the batting to attach it to the backing. I do the same for the quilt top. I do not sew through the leaders, only the backing about 1/2" off the leaders.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM

Great idea. I'll have to try that.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

This is the main reason I don't have a longarm set up. I have helped load quilts on many different kinds of frames and it is too big a hassle. I know I'd have a pile of quilts sitting there waiting to be put on the frame and me not wanting to do it.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

It is easier with more than one person for sure, I can do it in very little time by myself, it is a matter of practicing it, I pin all of it, at first my mom thought it was a lot until she helped with it, it is worth it for me as the totally quilting time is cut way down by using it and I can do more on it than trying to move it though manually.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM

I usually use a lot of pins hooking the backing to the leader. Then I line up the batting & top onto the backing 1/2" to 1" below the leader (so that I don't sew into the leader & to avoid bumping the pins with the machine's foot). I pin the batting & backing about every 4" just to be sure the top & batting don't shift. This way I don't have too many pins to remove as I sew the top edge of quilt. It makes it nice to have that edge sewn before you start quilting so that the pressure foot does not bump into pins. I may play around & try it without the 4" apart pins sometime & see if that would work for me also. It would save time as long as the batting & top didn't shift.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM

It usually takes me about an hour. I safety pin the back and top to my leaders about every 6 inches. Loading the batting is what is hard for me! I've not tried it alone except 1 time and had to give up and get my husband to help! I'm hoping the next time is easier!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Once you learn how to do it, it will be easier and faster. I can load 3 layers in about an hour and I am not talking about a wall hanging. i make Twin and Standard bed size quilts.
It becomes an art! You will get the hang of it - if not sooner, then, surely, later.