Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilting books is "too many"? >

How many quilting books is "too many"?

How many quilting books is "too many"?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Okay... I went from having a 2 shelf bookcase with quilt books/mags... to having the 2 shelf + another shelf underneath in my hidden storage area. That's about 26" x 3, in space. But then I see other sewing room pics, with 5 shelf bookcases stuffed with books! I love looking through them, and since I only occasionally do quilting... I have yet to make a quilt from even a 10th of the books I already have. But... BUT... BBBBUT - I want to go buy more books! lol....

Those of you who have large stashes of books... do you really make the quilts from them? Do you use them more for color or style inspiration? For fun reading???? Somebody help me justify my addiction!!!! (okay, thanks...!)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 AM

lol ... it is a club.... has to be because I DO NOT HAVE AN ADDICTION!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM

All the books (with patterns) are like fabrics....if you see something you really like, you just gotta have it. If you have room for them, where's the problem? How else would you keep up with you "To Do" list?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM

MY rule, if it has any thing to do with quilting or sewing and I like it and I have the money for it, I get it! I have a beautiful solid oak quilt frame, I have only used a couple of time to baste a small quilt on, or to hang un-quilted tops on. I have a dress fore I have yet to use. I don't have to justify why, I wanted it and I like having it. And yes I have 22 years of books and mags all about quilting!! and love them@!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM

Mostly inspiration for me. Some have some techniques I find useful, but mostly I create my own patterns.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I'm going through my books and magazines now, trying to weed out those that will likely never be useful to me. It's a long slog, because I don't seem able to give up a magazine until I have looked through every page and made sure there is not a pattern or inspirational quilt in there I'd like to make some day! Some of the books are ones I ordered online and aren't quite what I want; those are a little quicker to go through. However, there are still many books and magazines I want to keep.....
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

I've only been unhappy with one book I ordered online and may donate it to my guild's library.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Have thousands of magazines and hundreds of books and pamphlets had used some over and over, some never. My problem still seems how to organize them... I want a ereader to tell me what I already have and where on my shelves!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
I've only been unhappy with one book I ordered online and may donate it to my guild's library.
That's a really good idea too. I didn't think of it. I have quite a large number of quilt books that don't have patterns, just talk about the years greatest quilts, vintage quilting, and stuff like that. I like them, and refer to them occasionally. But there are some that I know I really won't use... maybe some of the other guildees can. Thanks for the reminder...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Most of you know I have a huge stash of books and the way I organized them is to list them on a spreadsheet program.
I can then do a search by title, author, or category.
I file them in the bookcase by author. It makes the search easier.