Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts do you finish in a year? >

How many quilts do you finish in a year?

How many quilts do you finish in a year?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
How many quilts is like asking how long is string.

How many really only asks the question, "how do we measure up". We are measured up and found lacking in so many areas of our life why do it to ourselves inadvertently?
I asked the question introspectively. I would hope we are not measured by the number of quilts we complete. The complete life takes in so much more. I am at a point where I am trying to honestly evaluate how much of my stash I will be able to use up and how many quilts on my wish list I will be able to complete. I also like to try new techniques and have a list of those. After reading replies to this thread, maybe I am not quite as slow as I thought I was, since I seem to choose complex quilt patterns.

I admire those of you who complete so many charity quilts. What a labor of love. I marvel at how much of your lives you dedicate to providing warmth and comfort to others.

The answers to this thread also help me reflect on the creative outlet quilting provides and the beauty it provides for the quilter and the receiver of the quilt, whether it is a stranger or a loved family member.

I think think we all measure up.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 AM

One year i did 13....oversized lap quilts (i call them couch quilts) Lots of weddings and babies that year. But the next year it took me 3 months of solid work to do an hand appliqued quilt. So i guess it just depends on my projects.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I don't count anymore. one year I made 50 quilts in about 4 months. all hand quilted, but I raced myself on that. I have an epp 3/4" I've been working on for 2 yrs now. Now i'm making smaller quilts. i'm doing NICU quilts now, and they don't count. work at your own pce. I do it for the funof it. I have a friend that made over 30 and LA quilted them in a year. she was a speed demon, but had to finish them. she retired and gave one to everyone she worked with.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 AM

If it were a race, that lady who makes 2 a day and quilts them all on her LA (it must run by itself) and donates them to charity--all different, would win the prize. I don't understand how she can do that many. I managed to finish the ones I did, but they were already mostly tops before 2015 started. I don't see how she has time to finish up so many.

Plus, I found when pushing myself to do so many, I was so glad to see March 31 come (my deadline set by myself to finish up at least 90 and then take a break)! I can't imagine doing it week in and week out, month in and month out.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I have some blocks pieced but they are random. Would like to get my family's done. Lost my motivation couple months back when DH walked in and saw small layout for his quilt (not knowing it was for him ) and explained his distaste. So back to the drawing board!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have done exactly --- uh---- none this past year. Hasn't been the best 12 months so far.
But I'm actually looking forward to getting into the new cottage where the studio will forcefully be cleaned up (because it has to be moved!) and therefore much more appealing to be in!
Ask me next year about this time!!

Jan in VA
Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I try not to worry about how many quilts I finish in a year, because I really enjoy making quite complex patterns, and almost never make the same pattern twice. Also have other hobbies that take up an average of 30+ hours a week. So I guess I have joined the slow stitching movement.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Since it's neither a race nor a competition, it doesn't matter to me. Some years I am more prolific than others. Some years I may take part in group projects and most years I make some "flimsies" (finished tops). I just try to enjoy what I'm doing.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I only started keeping track in mid 2012. Now I keep a MS word document with date finished, what it looked like, purpose of it (charity, gift, etc) and a file folder with a picture.

In 2013, I finished 103, most of them charity = simpler= no hand piecing, no applique, etc.
In 2014, I finished 29, almost all of them NOT charity--they were wedding quilts, 2 commissioned quilts, etc. About half were queen sized.
In 2015, I've finished 106 so far. The vast majority of these are charity = easy, nothing spectacular, etc. With this year's I had most of these tops already made back in 2014 or people gave me tops to finish.

If I were doing things like tiny precision piecing or paper piecing, or handwork, or detailed work like dense piecing, I would slow down to a crawl/walk.
You are just amazing!

Dina
Old 04-23-2015, 06:04 PM

2012 -6 twin size, 1 lap quilt, 3 baby
2013 - 2 queen, 8 twin
2014 -1 king with 16 embroidered blocks, 1 queen, 1 quillo, started a king, and we moved.
2015 - finished the king, did 2 twins, working on 2 twin size.

I am retired. I have a Viking Ruby and a Viking HQ100. I piece with HQ100 and quilt using the embroidery part of the Ruby.