Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much $$ to ask for this quilt? >
  • How much $$ to ask for this quilt?

• How much $$ to ask for this quilt?

Old 12-03-2014, 04:14 PM
    Power Poster

That sounds incredibly low to me. I would go with what everyone else has said, especially jcrow. See what they are going for online, and be fair to yourself.
    Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 AM
    Gay

Around here that fee would only cover the cost of the quilting. Don't forget to charge for the cost of fabrics, batting and backing, as well as something for yourself, and I agree to include some color catchers.
    Old 12-04-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    two or three color catchers for that red. Actually if I were you, I'd wash it myself first. color catchers with it on delicate. Normally i soak my quilts and rinse twice. but with red the color catchers are a must. then perhaps you can charge more with confidence.
    I agree here totally I always . I always wash a quilt before I give it, for one, with a color catcher to catch the runs and two to make it look homier. I wash it in cold water, throw it in the dryer. Knock on wood, I have the ugliest color catcher (good for 30 washes - ten left), but no running. If it runs, keep the quilt and make a new one. I rarely use red in a quilt unless it is little flowers or something. I had a quilt professionally quilted a few years ago in the meander stitch and it was 1-1/2 cents per inch. For a 70x80, I would tie it. I don't sell quilts, but I make the 52x80 size quilt and just tie it down. It is easier, for me, anyhow, and a lot of people like the smaller quilts tied (must be a "thing of the past" thing! Good luck to you. Edie
    Old 12-04-2014, 04:29 AM
    Power Poster

It is very difficult to put a value on a quilt. For just straight stitching, 3 cents an inch is high even in my area of So CA. The few LAQ charge 1 cents for an overall pattern. Depends on your area. You might want to do research on fabric stores online that may have some quilts for sale. I have known a few quilt shops owners, and their samples rarely sold for the price they should have. I use to quilt for others on my Bernina 1530 over a decade ago, and I charge $8 an hour. I kept track of my time signing in and out on an index card. Good Luck !
    Old 12-04-2014, 04:59 AM

I would at least double my material costs to begin. You have to get paid for your time. If you are doing simple straight line quilting then $0.02-0.03 per square inch would be fair. I definitely would wash the quilt with several color catchers before selling. I never give a quilt that I have not washed.
    Old 12-04-2014, 09:47 AM
    Power Poster

I always pre wash fabrics. If I were to sell a quilt, I would be for sure to pre wash it.
    Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Do I understand that you have already straight line quilted this quilt and are just trying to find out how much to sell the quilt for?
    Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 AM

The only time I quilted by check, the price was $168. I chose an easy I expensive pantograph, supplied the top, and pieced back. I think you are way undervaluing your self a bit.
    Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM

I am making a quilt with that red "Aunt Grace" Judie Rothermel reproduction print right now. The fabric on the bolt that I got needed Retayne to set the dye. Hoping for the best for you.
    Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Your quilt is beautiful but I never use red fabric without prewashing it. I ruined a table runner after using red fabric which ended up a pink runner. It only took once for me to learn not to put that work into something then ruin it.