Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: How much is too much

  1. #1
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Can you put too many ties in a quilt? I'm making a baby quilt and it has orange in it so i'm tying it off with orange yarn. I haven't tied one before and i was told i was going overboard. I need your input. ty
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member aorlflood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    currently living in WV
    Posts
    1,415
    How big are your blocks?

    It does look like a lot of ties, but with it being a baby quilt, I think a lot of ties would be helpful.

    Prob. what I would do though is cut them off shorter so there is "less" visualization of the ties. Shorter ties tend to blend in more.

    Just my 2 cents worth...HTH.

  3. #3
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    How big are your blocks?

    It does look like a lot of ties, but with it being a baby quilt, I think a lot of ties would be helpful.

    Prob. what I would do though is cut them off shorter so there is "less" visualization of the ties. Shorter ties tend to blend in more.

    Just my 2 cents worth...HTH.
    ty Loretta, i think they are 12 1/2 "

  4. #4
    Kaye-Kaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seymour, Missouri
    Posts
    428
    I think it does seem like alot of ties. It is a little distracting from the rest of the quilt. I would try Loretta's suggestion of cutting them shorter.

  5. #5
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,666
    The batting quilting distance will tell you how far apart to tie your quilt (it's the same). Ditto on cutting the ends shorter...way too long for baby to suck on and swallow.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,636
    Yep, give it a little hair cut so you focus more on the quilt. :D

  7. #7
    Senior Member stpatmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mt. Sterling, Ohio
    Posts
    411
    I did a tie quilt for my daughter with that same teddy bear material when she was 2 or three. She's now twelve and still loves it. Thanks for reminding me of the memory.

  8. #8
    Bottle Blonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    481
    Trim the ties just a bit. The ties will curl and ball up on themselves when you wash it and won't stand out so much. The quilt is really cute! Good job! :)

  9. #9
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaye-Kaye
    I think it does seem like alot of ties. It is a little distracting from the rest of the quilt. I would try Loretta's suggestion of cutting them shorter.
    ty Kaye

  10. #10
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    Trim the ties just a bit. The ties will curl and ball up on themselves when you wash it and won't stand out so much. The quilt is really cute! Good job! :)
    ty i will do that

  11. #11
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stpatmom
    I did a tie quilt for my daughter with that same teddy bear material when she was 2 or three. She's now twelve and still loves it. Thanks for reminding me of the memory.
    aaawwww how sweet ty for your comment

  12. #12
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Yep, give it a little hair cut so you focus more on the quilt. :D
    ty marsye

  13. #13
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    The batting quilting distance will tell you how far apart to tie your quilt (it's the same). Ditto on cutting the ends shorter...way too long for baby to suck on and swallow.
    ty ghost

  14. #14
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    12,153
    Blog Entries
    1
    a lady i know who ties quilts all the time told me to use your hand as a guide, your ties should be (1) hand's width apart.
    i think it really depends on the batting you used though, if the batting can be quilted 4-12" apart a hand's width would be fine, but if you use batting that has to be quilted every 2" you need them much closer together. i was always afraid to 'tie' baby quilts, afraid they would manage to 'un-tie' one or chew on it and choke, so i only quilt baby quilts, but i know lots of people tie them, just me being ''' over-paranoid'''
    cute quilt

  15. #15
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    a lady i know who ties quilts all the time told me to use your hand as a guide, your ties should be (1) hand's width apart.
    i think it really depends on the batting you used though, if the batting can be quilted 4-12" apart a hand's width would be fine, but if you use batting that has to be quilted every 2" you need them much closer together. i was always afraid to 'tie' baby quilts, afraid they would manage to 'un-tie' one or chew on it and choke, so i only quilt baby quilts, but i know lots of people tie them, just me being ''' over-paranoid'''
    cute quilt
    ty I also thought about the choking
    but i think i tied them tight enough to hold while they knot up

  16. #16
    Super Member pollyjvan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,026
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've never tied a quilt but yours is really cute.

  17. #17
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,281
    Rather than take them out----DON'T DO IT, IT WILL LEAVE HOLES----trim them off a little and they won't look like too much. There's really no need to have them more than 5 to 6 inches apart. However, it's your first one and babies love to play with the ties. I usually trim mine to about 3/4 of an inch. That's not to say that you have to, you can make yours about 1/2" if that's what you want. My mother always said to tie each tie three times to keep them from untying. pull them tight too.

  18. #18
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,198
    Blog Entries
    6
    I tie mine at the corners of each block, trim to 1/4 inch. Hides the unmatched joins!LOL

  19. #19
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,885
    Yep, too many. It could cause the child to play and play with the quilt until they get some threads in their wee hands and then into the mouth.

    Tie at center of block and at corners where the blocks meet. Trim to 1/2 " or so. I use a square knot.

    As far as removing the extras, I would and then take the tip of your seam ripper (careful here) or a blunt needle (better) and carefully 'rake' over the hole to close the threads together.

  20. #20
    Power Poster littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,954
    That is a cute quilt. I think you need to trim the ties and then they will be OK. I don't think you needed to tie so many but it will be OK for this quilt.

  21. #21
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,449
    Blog Entries
    20
    Cute quilt, but I don't tie baby quilts.

  22. #22
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,079
    Blog Entries
    1
    Depends on the look you are going for, as well as the quilting/tying requirements from the batting you are using.

    I think cutting the ties off a little closer will help accentuate the quilt, too :D:D:D

  23. #23
    Super Member Grama Lehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Posts
    5,037
    Ditto!!

  24. #24
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    23,129
    I would do a three tie knot -

    left over right
    right over left
    left over right

    I know - I do have a touch of OCD

  25. #25
    Junior Member AuntB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In hiding
    Posts
    117
    I would have tied it to the back instead of the front. That way it wouldn't have taken away from the front of the quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.