Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much to charge? Quilt Restoration >

How much to charge? Quilt Restoration

How much to charge? Quilt Restoration

Old 04-07-2010, 04:09 PM

My mother was just asked to repair two old quilts. She asked if I could find out how much to charge for her work. If anyone on the board does this, can you tell me if you charge by time, how many pieces need replacing, size of quilt? And what is an average rate according to how the charge is done? Thanks so much!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM

I'd like to know too? Someone I work with , gave me his GM quilt to fix for him. It is not fun or easy.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

i have done a couple repair jobs on baby quilts someone wanted to preserve to pass on...i charge $20 an hour sewing time plus materials...one of them was $120 by the time i got it all done (and it was small, 40x55) but the lady had no problem with the cost, she was thrilled, said she never imagined it could turn out so well and is giving it to her son (whom it belonged to as a baby) for his first child. it had been made by his grandmother...and was quite a rag when it was brought to me. i thought...why bother, throw it away and go buy a new one...but that's just me...it took some work but turned out to be worth it.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 AM

The best place to get accurate information for quilt restoration would be to talk with a quilt judge and appraiser. I had a friend give me a quilt from WAY WAY back in the family for restoration. I took it to an appraiser and was told NOT to restore because it would de-value the quilt. Well, the appraiser made some contacts, and that quilt is now at the Smitsonian Quilt Museum.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 PM

This came up with me recently. I have a friend that wants me to repair a quilt her grandmother made. It is a utility quilt and she uses it all the time. But the seams have split and I am hand sewing them closed with a tiny stitch like I do my appliques. I have no clue how much to charge her. I don't want to take advantage but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. So if I charge say 10 an hour does that sound reasonable?