Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

I have a customer that I made 3 quilts for them to give as Christmas gifts back in December. Two of them were simple patterned lap size quilts, and the other was a full size rag quilt. She wants me to make them one for their guest room now that will be queen size and like the pics shown below. The quilt shown below is a lap size one that I did and she wants basically one exactly like it, except in queen size (92 x 98) . The leaves are all fused on and machine appliqued using a blanket stitch, and it's all done in batiks. I quilted it on my longarm as the quilting shown. I don't believe money would be an object, but I really have no idea how much to charge for something like this - it is labor intensive because of all the appliqued leaves, but I don't really know what would be reasonable and fair to charge for something like this.

What do you think?

Edit to add: She also wants two matching queen pillow shams made to go with it, same design on them as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What an awesome quilt!! I don't have a clue, looks like a lot of work!

cost of materials times 4.

just my thoughts

Rita

at leasat $1200

Do comparison checking on ebay or there are a lot on etsy too.

Quote Originally Posted by ritamaew

just my thoughts

Rita

at leasat $1200
    Yup. I don't think that's out of range.

How long would you say it takes you to sew around one leaf? Or, say 5 leaves? How many leaves would "look right" on a queen?

Long-arming, I'd charge standard rates if you do that...

$500-$600
    In our area, hand made quilts go for around $500 queen size.

I love the quilt. It is so hard for me to market and sell quilts here, especailly now.

You do wonderful work. I admire the details you put into the leaves. Keep up the good work.

A lot!!!
    It's gorgeous!!!

Wow! That is very, very beautiful! Such alot of work! Charge enough for all your time and care that you put in it!

Banned
    I agree, only because in my area people just don't understand how much it is really worth. But if you can get more then I would say more. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by suezquilts
    $500-$600
    In our area, hand made quilts go for around $500 queen size.

I love the quilt. It is so hard for me to market and sell quilts here, especailly now.

You do wonderful work. I admire the details you put into the leaves. Keep up the good work.

Banned
    oh, I forgot to say.....GORGEOUS QUILT :)

Beautiful! I can't quite tell from the picture. Is the big center pieced or is it just one great big square? Just wondering if there is a bunch of piecing and applique or just applique? How long does it take to applique one leaf down? Are you hand cutting all of the leaves or are you using some sort of die cut?

Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Beautiful! I can't quite tell from the picture. Is the big center pieced or is it just one great big square? Just wondering if there is a bunch of piecing and applique or just applique? How long does it take to applique one leaf down? Are you hand cutting all of the leaves or are you using some sort of die cut?
    The center area with the very light colored batiks is actually pieced as well with 8" blocks. Each of those blocks contains 4 pieces, so there are several different background batiks in the top. So the quilt is actually both appliqued and pieced, although the piecing is very simply done. When I was working on this, I would usually do 3 - 4 leaves a night, so maybe 30-45 minutes per leaf (for the larger ones)? I'm pretty obsessive about how I do things so am probably slower than most others. These are all hand cut as well with scissors.

Blog Entries
    3 to 4 hundred...Its really nice...love it but with so many worried about their jobs. Many are cutting way...back. If you charge more you may get it but may take a while or...you may have to find clients that are in the highend areas. What do you think she can afford??

Blog Entries
    I charged $1400. Plus cost of fabric for a king

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Eddie, I agree with 1200.00- all that applique!
    I remember this quilt.
    Heck, I remember all your quilts! They are THAT gorgeous :D

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    The center area with the very light colored batiks is actually pieced as well with 8" blocks. Each of those blocks contains 4 pieces, so there are several different background batiks in the top. So the quilt is actually both appliqued and pieced, although the piecing is very simply done. When I was working on this, I would usually do 3 - 4 leaves a night, so maybe 30-45 minutes per leaf (for the larger ones)? I'm pretty obsessive about how I do things so am probably slower than most others. These are all hand cut as well with scissors.

I counted roughly 32 big leaves and at a half hour each that is 16 hours. Plus about 8 little leaves. Say it takes 15 min on those that's another 2 hours. So 18 hours alone on applique. And this is just for a lap sized. Would a queen have double the applique? 36 hours? And then you have all of the cutting. Say 70 leaves at least a couple hours of cutting. Then the price of batiks, batting, thread, fusible (more time I didn't add in), as well as piecing as well as whatever you normally charge to LA. You are at 40 hours plus for this quilt. That is a lot of time that would invested in this!

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Uhm.... I would charge five bucks and send it to me. hehehe Just kidding that is a beautiful quilt, I don't blame her for wanting another one :)

I would say 3 times the cost of materials and if you really don't want the job 4 or 5 times the cost of materials;>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    I charged $1400. Plus cost of fabric for a king
    This is what I was thinking. The last I heard labor should be charged as $12 per hour. Figure out the labor and then add in the material.

Blog Entries
    For those who are saying 1,400..would you pay that price? Yes its worth alot....but will you really pay that much? Even with two good incomes I am very careful with how much I spend.

Blog Entries
    "How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?"
    eight million dollars. Well, you asked :-)
    The one in the photo is just beautiful!

I would find out what the local pay is equal to... what do you want/or have to pay to have someone come do some work for you? $15/$20 an hour? I charge $15-20 an hour. That is what I had to pay a painter to come paint for me... And I think another way is whatever the cost of material including cost for batting/backing and quilting (per sq inch) and then double... comes out about the same... applique takes longer so maybe 4 times is the best. Just don't cut yourself short.
    judy

Have to agree with the $1200. It's a lot of work just doing the leaves. It's beautiful! Love all of the fall colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ritamaew

just my thoughts

Rita

at leasat $1200

Beautiful quilt!! No idea what you should charge.

Blog Entries
    just thinking...1,400 is more than my Stainless steel stove, my berber carpet in my livingroom, hallway installed and stairway, more than my oak rolltop desk, more than my kitchen table...all hard wood, more than my stainless frig, more than my floors in my kitchen, window installed, my Accuquilt Studio and dies, more than my livingroom set (yes I do buy when all are on sale)...the only thing I can think of that is less ...is my sewing machine...sorry...1,400 is too much for a quilt that only my husband and I would see... (my honest opinion) but there may be people out there that have huge bank accounts...and the only quilt I would hand down...would be one made from a family member. My thought would be...How much would I pay for the quilt...if I was selling one..we can not use the amount of time...sadily that does not count...so I would double the amount of how much I spent on fabric....Nope I would never get rich on quiliting...think I will keep my day job.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast