Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

Blog Entries
    I love the way you have done the leaves They appear to be floating on a breeze. I would love to be able to make something like that and with your's as inspiration, maybe someday I will. I hope she is willing to pay what you decide a queen size with pillow shams is worth.

I have no idea how much to charge, I would never buy a quilt because I can make my own. With the internet it is hard to get much money for anything, lots of people will sell things dirt cheap.

All of your quilts and quilting are gorgeous.

Banned
    Wow - I LOVE those...if I could afford it - I probably wouldn't blink at 1000.00 for a queen like that. Wish i could afford it because nothing I make will be that pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    just thinking...1,400 is more than my Stainless steel stove, my berber carpet in my livingroom, hallway installed and stairway, more than my oak rolltop desk, more than my kitchen table...all hard wood, more than my stainless frig, more than my floors in my kitchen, more than my livingroom set (yes I do buy when all are on sale)...the only thing I can think of that is less ...is my sewing machine...sorry...1,400 is too much for a bedspread that only my husband and I would see... (my honest opinion) but there may be people out there that have huge bank accounts...
    wow, never thought I would hear a quilt called a bedspread here on the QB! That is what I hear from the general public, although my dear FIL used to sometimes refer to them as "Rugs"!

Obviously to the customer it is more than a bedspread, if she just wanted something to cover her bed she could go to Walmart. This is a piece of art that we are talking about - it may be useable but the main value is the beauty of it, not the utility.
    I would tend to agree with the $1200 figure. If she thinks it is too much perhaps you can suggest a way to lower the price, less quilting maybe. Gorgeous quilt!!

And I regularly see refrigerators selling for this price in the circulars, and we don't expect to keep them for more than 15-20 years. This will be an heirloom that will last for generations with proper care.

It is beautiful! Definatly price it to make it worth your time. If it is more than they want to pay they will say no and you won't have to make it. If they are willing to pay...then ok. You are going to be busy for a while. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    No idea what to charge, but it sure is a beautiful quilt!

I just bought three patterns for wallings that are a set. They are paperpieced. 1 is 14 x28. And 2 are40 x20. I only bought the fabric for the front of yhe wall hangings and it cost me 216.00. When I think of what it cost for a queen sise quilt I have to think it would cost alittle more. So when i think of the batting and backing thats another couple hundred. Say 400.00 for fabric and batting then 2xs for making the quilt then you have the longarm quilting. I think 1200.00 is a steal.

If you got a fair price for the one pictured and were satisfied with it. I would take that price and times it by how much bigger this one is. Is it twice, three times or four times larger than the first one.
    As a buyer, I think that she would accept the logic behind the price. However- if you gave her a great price on the first one, just let her know that you can't do it again due to the amount of time involved.
    Good luck...Love the quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam
    If you got a fair price for the one pictured and were satisfied with it. I would take that price and times it by how much bigger this one is. Is it twice, three times or four times larger than the first one.
    As a buyer, I think that she would accept the logic behind the price. However- if you gave her a great price on the first one, just let her know that you can't do it again due to the amount of time involved.
    That lap quilt pictured in the original post is one that I made for myself, so I really don't have anything to go on as far as price.

Tell them upfront it will be $$ pricey and tell them you'll understand if they decide to not go with it. Then tell them the price and ask that they get back to you. That way they won't feel pressured to say yes.

I would think the $1200 price tag is reasonable. Your work IS superior!

Blog Entries
    It is gorgeous, as for the how much I am clue less. :roll:

You do beautiful work. I have no idea what you should charge, though. But it certainly is impressive!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam
    That lap quilt pictured in the original post is one that I made for myself, so I really don't have anything to go on as far as price.
    How long did it take you to make the lap quilt? Guesstimate the cost of the fabric and go from there.

Your quilt is just beautiful!! You may be able to get an idea if you can find one similar on etsy.com.

By my calculations, the fabrics will be about $210. I figure it will take about 30 minutes per leaf, and there will be about 80 leaves on the quilt, and about say 10 on each pillow, so about 100 leaves - so that's 50 hours. Plus the time to make the top itself and then about 30 hours of quilting. So if we say 80 hours, the price that I was thinking of asking comes out to only about $3.84 per hour in labor - I just don't want to sell myself short.

Blog Entries
    If you sell the quilt at the right price...you will get more business...just a thought...if you price to high you limit who can afford it. which = less business.

I would say around 600.00 would be the price it would go for in our area. My grandmother charges 350.00 for Grandmas fan pattern with shams queen sz. To me it's double the work so about double the price.

What pattern did you use on it when quilting with the LA? I really like it.

Wow that is some beautiful craftmanship!!!

Someone who can "order" a custom made quilt is not budget consious. I sold a queen quilt that was pieced but not appliqued for $1200. There is a lot of detail work in this
    quilt. I think someone of your proficiency deserves to be paid for his time and skill. If the buyer balks, explain the time and costs involved. Decide what would make you satisfied and not feel underpaid. PS would love to hear how much you sell it for.

Rita

Blog Entries
    http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bedd...-shams/?page=2
    I was looking at Pottery barn...may help with the pricing, they are hand quilted...no idea if from th US or imported and if so from where.

that is a georgeous quilt. and the workmanship is beautiful. here is what i tell people when they ask if i will make them a quilt like one i have - i put X amount of hours of time on this quilt. how much do you think i should make an hour? plus all the time spent purchasing, planning, cutting, etc. then the cost of the fabric. most people have NO idea what is involved. most of them change their mind. when i make quilts for donations and they ask me what is it worth, i basically say the same thing and they put their own pricing on it. hope you get what you are worth!

I think 1200-1400 sounds very reasonable. Don't forget that you are
    an artist and you make beautiful work. Don't under-price yourself.
    Like someone suggested, go on etsy and see how much some charge.
    If your customer wants it he/she will pay for it.

You have truly captured Fall falling leaves. Beautiful job!

Wow Eddie, I really admire your beautiful quinting. For sure it is worth a lot. I'm not as good of a quilter as you are.... For sure it is worth $1200.00 - $1400.00 many charge more.

Good luck and happy quilting. (((hugs)))

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast