Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    By my calculations, the fabrics will be about $210. I figure it will take about 30 minutes per leaf, and there will be about 80 leaves on the quilt, and about say 10 on each pillow, so about 100 leaves - so that's 50 hours. Plus the time to make the top itself and then about 30 hours of quilting. So if we say 80 hours, the price that I was thinking of asking comes out to only about $3.84 per hour in labor - I just don't want to sell myself short.
    Eddie, you have heard of minimum wage, have you not?????

That is an absolutely beautiful quilt and if she wants one identical (almost) and is willing to pay, go for it. Your time is worth more than $3.84 and hour.

Eddie, I would have to charge 1500 to 2000 for all that work or I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure if that would even include the shams. Look at the price of Amish quilts! Your work is worth whatever you charge. Please don't undercharge.

Based on the effort I put into a much more straightforward appliqued wall hanging I made for a friend, I have to agree with the $1,200 and up quotes.

While most of us are feeling a budget crunch, there are also some people doing as well as, or better, than ever and who would think nothing of paying well over $1,000 for an art piece such as this.

Blog Entries
    What did you charge her for the other 2 smaller quilts? I would say to take that price and multiply it times however any times would equal the size of the queen. She is probably expecting a compariable price.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eddie! Your work is really outstanding. Shams are very expensive to buy. I think $1500.00 and don't look back or question your pricing.

BOM are usually $28. a month and you do the work..usually comes to about let's say $260. Then add your time $10 an hour. Now add long arm price ,my long arm person charges for a king $100 &10. per hour. I walk
    out paying about $150. she's very reasonable. there's another gal in town that is so high , she did one quilt for me and I never would go back! I think if your fair, you get more business! A quilt is usually appreciated by the artist!! But if she wants it, she will pay! Since you've done work for her before.

Blog Entries
    Eddie I hand applique and hand quilt my quilts, I get looo up to 1600 for mine.

It is a beautiful quilt and it shows a lot of work has gone into the applique. In my small town in Arkansas a quilt like this would sell for $300- $500. When you add the matching pillow shams I would add at least another $100. I hope this is helpful. Jeanniebelle

Blog Entries
    beautiful work

I agree that you should charge $1200. minimum. Speaking only for myself, I'd much rather have my asking price refused than to undercharge and feel I had cheated myself. There's a LOT of labor & time to consider on top of the cost of the materials + use of your equipment + electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bedd...-shams/?page=2
    I was looking at Pottery barn...may help with the pricing,
    How can you compare Eddie's quilts to Pottery Barn (mass produced in China)? :shock:

I agree...store bought quilts are all mass produced....in sweat shops in foreign countries...no comparison in my book.

I say you need to charge at least 1200.00 and not a penny less!

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bedd...-shams/?page=2
    I was looking at Pottery barn...may help with the pricing,
    How can you compare Eddie's quilts to Pottery Barn (mass produced in China)? :shock:
    That was my first thought when I saw this comparison.

As a rule of thumb you can figure twice the cost of all materials it takes to make these items. All at regular prices not discounted or sale price. You do not say if tihs is hand quilted or machine quilted, that would make a it 3 times the cost of materials. Good luck.
    I have a customer that I made 3 quilts for them to give as Christmas gifts back in December. Two of them were simple patterned lap size quilts, and the other was a full size rag quilt. She wants me to make them one for their guest room now that will be queen size and like the pics shown below. The quilt shown below is a lap size one that I did and she wants basically one exactly like it, except in queen size (92 x 98) . The leaves are all fused on and machine appliqued using a blanket stitch, and it's all done in batiks. I quilted it on my longarm as the quilting shown. I don't believe money would be an object, but I really have no idea how much to charge for something like this - it is labor intensive because of all the appliqued leaves, but I don't really know what would be reasonable and fair to charge for something like this.

What do you think?

Edit to add: She also wants two matching queen pillow shams made to go with it, same design on them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by suezquilts
    $500-$600
    In our area, hand made quilts go for around $500 queen size.

I love the quilt. It is so hard for me to market and sell quilts here, especailly now.

You do wonderful work. I admire the details you put into the leaves. Keep up the good work.
    I agree--$500-$600 is in the right range. Beautiful quilt.
    On the bigger quilt, would you spread out the leaves more?
    make them bigger? just curious.

If you have the time you could Google "Amish Quilts for sale" and check out their prices. I think About.com has a formula for how to price your own work. You could also ask your customer what she has in mind as far as pricing is concerned to see where you might be in agreement.

..........priceless........

That's one of the prettiest quilts I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing. Wish I could help on the pricing but I am clueless.

Whatever you charged for the laptop, triple it. Much more work in a queen size plus more batiks.
    Good luck, Kutnso

Blog Entries
    All I know is 400 to 500 is not enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Beautiful! I can't quite tell from the picture. Is the big center pieced or is it just one great big square? Just wondering if there is a bunch of piecing and applique or just applique? How long does it take to applique one leaf down? Are you hand cutting all of the leaves or are you using some sort of die cut?
    The center area with the very light colored batiks is actually pieced as well with 8" blocks. Each of those blocks contains 4 pieces, so there are several different background batiks in the top. So the quilt is actually both appliqued and pieced, although the piecing is very simply done. When I was working on this, I would usually do 3 - 4 leaves a night, so maybe 30-45 minutes per leaf (for the larger ones)? I'm pretty obsessive about how I do things so am probably slower than most others. These are all hand cut as well with scissors.
    I agree with the others who say $1200 to $1400.

Beautiful quilt! I don't have any idea as to how to charge though. Sorry.

beautiful quilt. you do wonderful work. Most people price about 3 to 4 times the cost of the materials. So the quotes on the high end would be right. Good luck

Absolutely an artistic delight. I think 1500 with shams would be a bargain. 2000 is more like it. People certainly price their paintings at much more than the cost of supplies times 3 or 4. You are an artist!

Gorgeous quilt, but I don't have a clue how much to charge.

The quilt is beautiful! Do not sell yourself short -

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast