Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

You should charge her three times what the cost of all the material that goes into the quilt was.

I'd like to amend my answer from $1200 to $1400 since the background is pieced as well.

When folks commission a quilt, they know they're asking for a unique item. This is different than someone who just by the way knows you make quilts and asks you to "make me one!" The latter has no idea the time, effort, special-ness that goes into it. The former is expecting a masterpiece. And, they do not think it's out-of-line to pay an artist for their expertise.

Eddie, I know you are not dealing with a friend/customer of the Wal-Mart mentality. And I'm sure they have the utmost respect for you and your work. Quote what you feel is fair to you and to them (I know w/the $1200 you're making less than $4/hr....sometimes that is ok if you get paid partially in dividends from the experience).

Folks that are saying $400-$600? I'm so sorry you live in a climate where that's all a quilt is "worth". I would rather keep it in my home for years and years to enjoy its beauty for myself than to work sweatshop labor on something so lovely.

And Pottery Barn does have some cute styles. They are pricing for the masses and control their costs by buying en masse. Which is ok, if you're into that sort of thing. Obviously this customer is not, otherwise she would have bought one AT Pottery Barn.

Beautiful quilt and quilting...I am so new to this but what if you took her with you to pick out the fabric and the quality that you want to work with ....let her buy the fabric and she will see how expensive that part is then charge her your hourly rate....bet it will be around that 12 to 1400 rate....I could never afford to pay that but if money is not a problem and she wants it and she can pay it then it should not be a problem for her are you...that way she sees how expensive batiks are and you get compensated for your talent on piecing and quilting..

Blog Entries
    Sounds like your "customer" is expecting to pay a fair price for her request. I sold 2 appliqued baby quilts 36 x 48 for $150. + the cost of the fabric...It was too low. I'm in West Tn....not too far from you.

I think you should price it so that you are NOT in that "stick a flyer on a wall in the grocery store saying you'll make a queen quilt for $300 bucks" category. Your quilts are not that kind of quilt and that is NOT what your customer is wanting to buy. Price it at least $12-1400 and if she doesn't want to spend that....its fine...at least your work isn't being devalued. Don't let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    3 to 4 hundred...Its really nice...love it but with so many worried about their jobs. Many are cutting way...back. If you charge more you may get it but may take a while or...you may have to find clients that are in the highend areas. What do you think she can afford??
    I'd have to agree! It's worth more, but over a thousand might be too much, especially in this economy. Like one poster said that he had his quilt at a show and many said it was worth more than a thousand, so he priced it at a thousand and it didn't sell. If she's a repeat customer, I'd definetly give her a deal as word of mouth is the best advertising.
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna

Stunning quilt and in my opinion is worth minimum $1500. If your client is appreciative of excellent workmanship, she will not object to that price. She will have a one of a kind quilt that she will enjoy and her guests will marvel at each time they see it.
    Jackie

I can well understand someone wanting that quilt in a queen sz. I thought that myself when I first saw it....but knew I could not afford it. I have been to Lancaster, PA twice and the quilts there ran the average of $900. when I was there years ago. My sister in law paid $895.00 for a log cabin quilt there.

Eddie, what would you pay for the quilt if you could not make it yourself? What will it cost you to make it - just the materials? How much do you want to make an hour for your work? How many hours will it take you to make the quilt and shams? A lot of questions to answer, but you can kinda get an idea of the price to charge.

Hope your clint has a bulging purse and wants it at any cost, but whatever you decide to charge it will never be enough to pay for your talent. That is priceless.

Blog Entries
    What ever you charged her to do a lap quilt I would triple the price, or about $600 to 700 dollars.

It is SO beautiful--I can totally understand why she wants one for herself! I wouldn't hesitate a second to ask $1200.
    Sure, the economy is bad--but it is the same economy that YOU are living with and you deserve to be paid appropriately! It isn't just a blanket--it is an original, a work of art, a family heirloom, and...did i mention incredibly beautiful!

I wouldn't know what to charge, but I do know, don't sell yourself or your work short, its a beautiful quilt and lots of work went into it. If she wants it she will pay the price, tell her up front before you start it. If she doesn't want it you are out nothing. Good luck and again beautiful work. I absolutely love it. Would love to be able to make one like that myself. Wow

Your quilt is gorgeous. I really have no idea what to tell you on price.

Fabric is expensive. I am making a BOM quilt now and the fabric including the backing comes to $200 and then it still has to be quilting and needs batting. Around here longarm quilting runs from 200 or more if custom quilted so right there is $400 and then there is the labor involved in the making. How much do you want for labor?

People spend $1,000 up on Amish quilts. Why should we shortchange ourselves? That quilt is very labor intensive. I agree with the others and wouldn't charge less than $1,200. BTW the quilt it beautiful!

I would quote the price up front to her and maybe get a deposit to cover your materials first.

No idea what to charge but love the quilt

Blog Entries
    I can certainly see why she wants this quilt in a queen size; it's stunning. I think $1000 to $1200 isn't unreasonable.

Blog Entries
    $1200. for the quilt and $200.00 for the shams or $1500.00. It's not the same AS BUYING A QUILT AT A SHOW. It is a CUSTOM QUILT DONE IN A SPACE OF TIME FOR ONE PERSON. That makes it worth more. Nothing less than $1500.00 for the set. It would be worth every penny. It is one beautiful quilt and all of the hand cutting of leaves, makes my hand hurt just thinking about it. LOL

Blog Entries
    This is stunning! I have no idea how much you should charge, but I just wanted to say how beautiful the quilt is.

I would probably charge $1 million. Because I hate applique. Even fusible applique :D :D :D

WOW!!!! beautiful. I have NO idea what I would charge, But this may sound like alot but at least 500. Just check deptment store websites and see prices and they aren't handmade.

I am only on page 3 of posts but just have to say....you are an artist! People pay extra ordinary amounts for art that is not half as beautiful as that is, so make up a price for the outstanding showpiece this will be and if she(the customer) doesn't want to pay that too bad for her...thats what the price of art is! On a personal note I think your quilts are the most beatiful I have ever seen!

Blog Entries
    Fabulous quilt...love the leaves falling everywhere!!!!
    Have no idea what to charge for quilts!

That is such a beautiful quilt! The leaves look like they have just fallen on the fabric and so real.. I could not begin to put a price on your work. I think maybe you should think about what you feel the customer could afford in comparison to what you feel your time is worth. Make sure to tell her what it could sell for elsewhere. See how she feels about what you have come up with. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bedd...-shams/?page=2
    I was looking at Pottery barn...may help with the pricing,
    How can you compare Eddie's quilts to Pottery Barn (mass produced in China)? :shock:
    Just thinking the same thing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bedd...-shams/?page=2
    I was looking at Pottery barn...may help with the pricing,
    How can you compare Eddie's quilts to Pottery Barn (mass produced in China)? :shock:
    Same question! And I've seen the hand quilting on these -- so bad even I could do better!

Blog Entries
    Eddie, I love your quilt, as I do all your others. I wouldn't know what to charge, but the thousand-plus prices suggested are surely in the range for an original piece of art, which it is. Would anyone intending to purchase artwork question the price on a piece in an art gallery?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast