Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size? >

How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mickie612
At least 1299.00, There is a lot of work in that quilt. Do not make the mistake of underpricing yourself.
Or the other side--if you are not really excited about making this quilt for your friend, you can always price yourself out of a job. Which way you look at it depends on how you feel about making the quilt and shams in the first place.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Stunning!!!! And since they ordered it you don't have to worry about attracting a buyer. So if money is not an issue for them then charge what you want. Maybe to help you, you could count your hours and decide what your time is worth then add cost of materials times no less than 2. See what that comes out to then round up. Remember do not devalue yourself or others will too.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM

That is beautiful....priceless
Old 03-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Eddie, I love your quilt and I would charge plenty!!!People have no idea of the labor that is involved. You have a great eye for color.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM

That is such a gorgeous quilt, I say fabric costs, long arming costs, then maybe come up with an hourly rate and calculate depending on how many hours are spent on the project
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM

Your work is stunning! As a textile artist, you deserve to be compensated well for the work. You already estimated the cost of supplies & approx hours you'll have invested; how much per hour would you expect to be paid at employment in any other field? Doing a commissioned piece is expensive - charge a sufficient price to make it worth your time; otherwise, why do it at all? I could not afford a purchased quilt of this caliber, but clients who ask for a specific piece of art should be willing to pay compensatory prices for the piece created. Offer them a price worthy of your skill.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM

It really depends on where you live and what the cost of living range is. I live in the Thumb of Michigan and what sells for $500 here, would sell for double that or more in the Detroit area. And probably more in another State, or maybe less.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Eddie, wonderful fabrics, expert piecing, exquiste appliquing and fantastic quilting equal beautiful quilt. I have no independent suggestions regarding quilting prices but would side with the $1,500 (for queen quilt and two shams) or more.

I have a question about the applique and quilting on your lap size quilt. Did you applique after the top was fully pieced or were you able to applique some as the blocks were made? Also, it appears to be raw edge applique with fusible and blanket stitch - - is that correct? And, finally did you do the details within the leaves as part of appliqueing the leaves on or as part of your free motion quilting?

Again, wonderful quilt. Lucky customer to get some of your beautifully executed art.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Thank you all for the kind words and opinions. Much appreciated. :)

Originally Posted by PWinston
I have a question about the applique and quilting on your lap size quilt. Did you applique after the top was fully pieced or were you able to applique some as the blocks were made? Also, it appears to be raw edge applique with fusible and blanket stitch - - is that correct? And, finally did you do the details within the leaves as part of appliqueing the leaves on or as part of your free motion quilting?
Yes, I appliqued after the top was completed. I think, though, that for any size larger than this lap that I would instead do it in section, (such as quarters), and then join those appliqued quarters together to form one large top and applique more leaves along the joined sections.

And yes, raw edge fused applique with a machine blanket stitch.

I did the detail vein quilting in the leaves while it was on the longarm by free-handing them with the longarm.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 PM

WOW you do beautiful work. It should be worth a lot of
green stuff.