Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

After seeing some quilt sales in Amish country, etc. I think $1200 would be BOTTOM dollar--and more likely $2000 would be a fair price for such beautiful work.

I did not see your post saying 80 hours--on that basis, explain to the customer the costs and time required.

If your labor is worth $10 per hour--which is pretty =reasonable for an artist, she should understand the price then--that is what I have always done....
    They can just say NO!
    If I were going to do that quilt, it would be at least $2000!

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    After seeing some quilt sales in Amish country, etc. I think $1200 would be BOTTOM dollar--and more likely $2000 would be a fair price for such beautiful work.
    I think this is getting closer. This is applique, after all - and beautifully executed work, at that.

Like someone else has said, someone who commissions a handmade quilt understands what they're buying - they're trying to get away from the generic bedspreads that everyone else has. :)

I did a king-sized pieced quilt; very easy piecing, and machine quilted it- not LA. The customer provided all materials and I charged her $600 for the labor. I still don't think I charged her enough.

And BTW, it's gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bedd...-shams/?page=2
    I was looking at Pottery barn...may help with the pricing,
    How can you compare Eddie's quilts to Pottery Barn (mass produced in China)? :shock:

Beautiful quilt!
    Your estimate of 80 hours is something to go with...times $10-12 for labor is a minimum of $800-960 just for the labor...add in the materials and you are easily in the $1200.00 price range.
    I would explain how much you charge per hour, and your estimate for the hours, and the cost of materials to your customer and see what the response is...years ago I charged $10.00/hr for doing any special orders...so asking $12.00 an hour or even more now isn't out of line.

I wouldnt have a clue what to charge but that is a beautiful quilt...

Jim
    Eddie...you deserve to be compensated for the value, fabric cost and amount of work you put into the quilt...DON'T sell yourself short. It sounds as if perhaps the friend/customer isn't aware of the value of your artwork. Give her a price and let her know because of the time and materials (yes materials...fabric, thread, batting, backing, quilting etc) cost. The price may seem more than what she is willing to pay but, if she really wants it as an addition to her home, seeing that she recognizes fantastic quality craftsmanship, then you will be glad to complete the project for her. And at that price it would be giving her a "special low rate" because it is such a large labor intensive and time consuming project. And you would only give her that low a rate because she is a friend.

That is stunning...$1200 seems more than reasonable.

$1000 for the quilt and 100 mor for two shams. forgot to say how beautiful it is. I am in the range. $1100.99 with shams

Blog Entries
    What ever you decide...good luck. i am sure you will do well..you make lovely quilts.

Blog Entries
    Those are BEAUTIFUL Eddie. I also have no clue what to charge but I am sure someone will.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Eddie is she supplying the materials? Or are you doing this from start (shopping for fabric) to finish (quilting & binding?) If so do you machine bind or hand bind? All has to be factored in. Did you do the orginal one for her? If so take what you charged for it and figure what the costs were and go from there...hope this helps. Plus add on X amt for the shams...Your quilting is so very nice..
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Gorgeous....if they want it real bad,..they will pay for it...not less than a 1000.00 but 1400.00 sounds best.

I always try to be honest to myself so I don't end up working hard for nothing. First I asked if at all possible for them to supply the fabrics. This gives the customer an appreciation for the cost of the materials alone. I went to The City Quilter and came out with no fabrics after seen what fabric is going for.

I then think how much I would be willing to pay for it. I know the effort, time and expertise required to come up with a piece like that, and the amount I would be willing to pay for it is never low. Also, if you feel resistance, remind them that due to the nature of the quilt you will be making, they are getting a piece that will be impossible to reproduce. Copy, maybe. But never reproduced in its entirely. On top of that they want pillow shams, I say $1500 or no quilt for you. I have sold quilts much simpler for close to that.

Good luck. Your quilt is amazing!

One question...Did you applique the leaves after the complete background was pieced? For that alone I would charge even more. That is not easy to do.

Maria

OMGosh that's a gorgeous quilt Eddie, you make such beautiful quilts!

Blog Entries
    I agree, not less than $1000...$1200 is reasonable...shams can cost $50- $100 each for labour if you go to a bedding place...if you were to have it quilted the way you are planning to do it, what would it cost..add that to the price of the fabric..and the rest of the labour cost for piecing...
    i have the same problem when I am pricing custom drapery... I just did a big job and I know I underestimated the amount of work that went into it...but each time I complete a project I learn and it gets easier...I want to be fair but I dont' want to work for nothing either..

Blog Entries
    It is a beautiful quilt and shows off the batiks wonderfully well. Whatever you charge will probably not be enough for the time and care you will take with it.

Beautiful quilt, I have no idea about price!

I agree with the others - you are an artist. Your quilts are amazing and the price should reflect that. I would gladly dig deep and pay a minimum of $1200 for that quilt in queen size. I also agree that it is probably worth more than that.

First off I must say it is absolutely beautiful!! Makes me want to do some more experimenting with designing... You did a piece of art! I personally would say it the 500-600 range... eventhough it may very well be worth more too... Fabic and time add up and I usually don't keep great track of how much I spend on fabric as I pulling from stock and restocking. Then time is hard to figure.. Quilting cost is the easiest to come up with price.. It does make me want to do one similar!:)

Blog Entries
    First of all - do you WANT to do this? Secondly - you stated that money is no object with your customer. Thirdly - you do extremely beautiful work and are an artist. The price must be in the $1,000 or higher range. Do NOT sell yourself short and do NOT be embarassed to quote that price to your customer - remember, she/he asked for this quilt!

That is gorgeous, great work, a masterpiece,it is priceless and the reason I can't sew for others.

If you think there isn't any money problem, I would charge $1,500 plus Fabric. This is a beautiful Quilt.
    Good Luck-

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast