Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you buy? >

How much fabric do you buy?

How much fabric do you buy?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 AM

Thank you all so much! I guess being new I really need to pick and pattern and take it with me or write down the amounts that I will need. hanks again!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 AM

There is really no one rule fits all when it comes to buying fabric. It is probably easier when you are first starting to use a pattern and buy fabric specific to that quilt. You'll most likely have some left over and the start of your stash. Do that often enough and you'll be able to then start buying fabric with no specific quilt/pattern in mind based on what you have in your stash and experience. You'll also develop a rhythm as to what type of quilts appeal to you, what colors etc. I have found that 1/4 yard cuts are not very versatile so I usually buy a minimum of 1/2 yard. Fat quarters are more usable so will occasionally buy a fat quarter or have the shop cut me a fat quarter. Most quilt shops will cut fat quarters at no extra charge. I rarely buy fabric for borders, bindings or backings until the quilt top is done as I like to get the feel of the quilt and audition different fabrics but that's just me.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by GlendaM View Post
Thank you all so much! I guess being new I really need to pick and pattern and take it with me or write down the amounts that I will need. hanks again!
If I'm using a pattern I always take a picture of it with me so I can visualize the fabric I pick being in the pattern. I also make a checklist of sorts so I know I've got all the material needed. Otherwise, I get so excited and distracted by all the other fabrics I loose track. Especially if I find a fabric I absolutely have to have but not on the project I'm currently shopping for. I'm a little on the frugal side so if I see a fabric I just love but don't have an exact project in mind, I usually just get a yard. I have also found that some patterns leave leeway in the amount of material listed for mistakes while others assume you will make no mistakes, the fabric cut will be precise, and you will get exactly what you need and no more out of that 1/2 yard they have listed. So I always err on the side of caution and get just a little more than listed.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM

More than I should. LOL

I used to buy half-yard pieces but decided that was too small and went to 1 yard. I mostly make scrappies but sometimes I want to make something more "regular" or use it for a border so now I tend to buy 2 or 3 yards at a time.

A few fabrics I buy by the entire bolt - I keep bolts of black, white, red and grey on hand; plus a bolt of thinnest white muslin I can find (used for foundation piecing crazy quilts) and a bolt of heavier 108" wide muslin in natural for backing bed quilts. I also recently picked up a bolt of navy blue solid 108" wide backing just because it's a good color for my quilts and was a real steal price-wise.

But that also means I have four large cabinets stuffed with fabric!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:36 AM

If I don't have anything planned for the fabric but I love it, my next consideration is the price. If it is on sale I will buy up to three yards, if it is full price, I buy one yard.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by GlendaM View Post
I would take the pattern with me so you can envision where the fabric would go in the quilt. Then cut a piece of the selvage off, including the color swatch dots or square and about an inch of the fabric. That way you can take the piece of selvage and the pattern on other shopping trips to get all the fabrics you need for that quilts.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 AM
RST

I make scrappy and improvisational quilts, so no patterns to go by. I usually buy about 1/2 a yard if it's a "love this, must have it" fabric. If it's a great price and neutral/blendy/will go with lots of other things, then I will buy 3 to 5 yards. If it's a staple, I'll buy a bolt when I find a fabulous price or use a good discount code or coupon.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

When I started quilting I used to get just a quarter yard. Lots of variety but not much of any one thing. About 4 years ago I decided that it would be 2 yards or not at all.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

If it is a neutral or blender I buy the whole bolt. I buy focus fabric by the yard. I tend to buy more pre cuts then yardage though. I find I save money having the bolts of blenders/solids/neutrals and buying the beautiful pre cuts to add to it.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:34 AM

Waayyy toooo much! LOL! Couldn't resist in answer to your original question, but I've been sewing for several years, and I've made a lot of purchases just because it was on sale/clearance/coupon, etc., and really to do over again, I would try to buy more tonals/solids, and amounts that were really for a particular quilt pattern/size. So now I have half a closet full of fabric, and it just overwhelms me, I stand there looking at it, thinking ok, what goes with what, what can I make with this, usually end up not making anything, go sit back down with my hexies! LOL!