Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How much space....

That was my original idea with mine, but it made the room very awkward because there was no direct way to cross the room without walking around it. I think it would depend on what else is in the room, where the door is, and the general orientation of everything else. In order to fit mine in the room, I had to remove a couple pieces of furniture, but I thought I could live without them.

One other thing to consider is that with some frames, you can have multiple sets of rails, so that you could possibly keep it normally set up at, maybe, 8 ft., but switch it over to 10 or more when needed. Mine is the Superquilter and it's very easy to switch out the rails.

I'll post pix if you'd like, but it will take a couple days to get my camera back.

I think that if you are getting a long arm you will find the room for it. even if it is in your bedroom. I would love to have one but with two kids and only three bedrooms in my house that are small there is no way to do it. Unless I take over my moms house and live there during the day. quilting at nap time would be good to do.

We took out our kitchen table to make room for my Tin Lizzie on a 10 foot frame. My DH said he would be glad to take the couch out of the livingroom if I wanted it there. We eat in the livingroom now. Priorities!

Blog Entries
    I have my longarm on a 10' frame with 36" on each end and 48" between the belly bar and the wall..the other side is facing my sewing area. I have plenty of room to work on either side of Miss Lizzie. I personally wanted a 10 foot frame to do large quilts..for some reason I seem to be making quilts larger and larger..oh well..keeping the fabric shops in business.
    Here is a little tip...I use a car mechanics rolling stool, craftsmen..when I load the batting and backing on the bars it really helps to be able to see things better. I am not bending over..but at eye level.

Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    I have my longarm on a 10' frame with 36" on each end and 48" between the belly bar and the wall..the other side is facing my sewing area. I have plenty of room to work on either side of Miss Lizzie. I personally wanted a 10 foot frame to do large quilts..for some reason I seem to be making quilts larger and larger..oh well..keeping the fabric shops in business.
    Here is a little tip...I use a car mechanics rolling stool, craftsmen..when I load the batting and backing on the bars it really helps to be able to see things better. I am not bending over..but at eye level.

Thanks for the tip! I have an Inspira frame I have been trying to get set up for some time now (on what used to be our front porch)....not a lot of wiggle room!

Ditter

Quote Originally Posted by Dagny
    That was my original idea with mine, but it made the room very awkward because there was no direct way to cross the room without walking around it. I think it would depend on what else is in the room, where the door is, and the general orientation of everything else. In order to fit mine in the room, I had to remove a couple pieces of furniture, but I thought I could live without them.

One other thing to consider is that with some frames, you can have multiple sets of rails, so that you could possibly keep it normally set up at, maybe, 8 ft., but switch it over to 10 or more when needed. Mine is the Superquilter and it's very easy to switch out the rails.

I'll post pix if you'd like, but it will take a couple days to get my camera back.
    Yes, this one can apparently be 5 feet which is what I thought i would start withl

Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    That is why I a getting this one, the gal that had it got an absolutely huge one...with computer. So I got lucky, really lucky as she offered it last summer and I could not figure out how to afford it. Since then it is all I have thought about. DH has bought some items since that were spendy so I asked and he said yes if I can find a spot. He has a nice large shop, hmmmm, wonder how he would like to move out there. ;-)

Blog Entries
    wow, make room for it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I've always wondered how it would to sleep under a long arm machine -- that might be the only way I'll ever have one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    You could always build a loft bed and sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I've always wondered how it would to sleep under a long arm machine -- that might be the only way I'll ever have one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    You could always build a loft bed and sleep over it.
    :lol: :lol: where there's a will, there's a way -- right??? :lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2