Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much?

I never know what yardage to purchase when finding a piece of fabric that I like; not knowing what quilt pattern I will use or project. Any suggestions?

There are different ways of thinking about fabric.

If it looks good for a border, I get 3 yards.
    If it looks good for a backing, I get 6 yards.
    If it looks good for a splash of color, sometimes I get as little as a fat quarter.

Since the quilts I make are mostly large, I tend toward the larger quantities of fabric... :lol:

Unless I have a project in mind I buy small pieces just enough to wet my appetite. I make a lot of scrappy items so I rarely need 2-4 yrds of anything other than backing or sashing which I buy at the end to match what I have made. 1/3 a yard usually works so I can get at least 3-4 blocks with that fabric in it if not more so in the end it all coordinates. If your pocket book allows it a yard is a nice bit to insure you will get a good mix out of it in a quilt.

I buy a yard, if I have no idea what to do with it.

When I buy for stash, I usually get two or three yards. If I love it, I get five yards. I am truly sick. :oops:

Banned
    What???? Just buy the whole bolt! :lol:

I'm with quilt mom, 3 yds or 4 if it is going in a quilt. When you take into consideration you might need it for border and binding. I never buy backing until the quilt is done. The size of the quilt determines how much backing I need to get.

always buy backgrounds especially if they are on sale.

2 yds backgrounds(black, biege off white, white, tan and etc)
    Potential border fabrics 2to3 yds
    Blenders (marbles, fabrics that read solid) 1 yard
    Backing fabric 6-9 yards

Often times you can find fabrics that can interchange and make a quilt so buy enough to have enough even if it's a lap quilt

Buy FatQ's to build your stash and for scrappy quilts good way to build your stash w/ lots of color.

If I really like it , I buy the rest of what they have!!! and figure out later what I am going to do with it. Blenders , I have started to buy a larger amount , because I am finding that they fit in with just about anything I am making and then have to be cautious so I don't run out of one in a quilt. Needless to say , I have enough fabric to rule the world. But I am happy with it.
    Elaine

I love the on line sales for 3 dollars a yard. I buy alot of backing this way and if I just want fabric for my stash I usually buy a yard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast