Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to price a quilt? >

How to price a quilt?

How to price a quilt?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Default How to price a quilt?

My daughter has posted some of my quilts of Facebook, just to show some of her friends my quilts, now we have people wanting to buy some of them. Now I know how to price the fabric side of a quilt but I did not keep any amount of time in the making the top , quilting, sewing the binding on, or hand stitching it down. Can someone direct me in the right direction as to how to price this. The quilt is a bargello I posted on this board some time ago. It is a D. Lockwood pattern called Lovers Knot. Sorry, I did not know how to pull that picture up.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:10 PM

Most people don't want to pay what a quilt is really worth..But i would check Pinterest or Esty for some ideas. A friend asked me to make her a lap quilt, 45 x 60. Made a four patch all Moda fabrics from my stash.

Fabric for top= 2.5 yd small squares, large square, border and binding
Backing 1.5 yd
batting crib size
So, 4yds @ $9= $36. Batting $3.50 LA Quilting $40.00 ==79.50

She asked my quilting friend how much she should pay me because I had used fabric from my stash..
Anyway my quilting friend roughly calculated the yardage and came up with $75.00 because she mentioned that I had to have purchased that fabric at some time.

So she paid me $75.00. Because she was a friend I would have done it for nothing but she did not consider my time to make.

I hope someone buys your quilt.

Last edited by mamagrande; 01-15-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: did not finish post
Old 01-15-2017, 10:18 PM
CMW

There have been many discussions on how to price a quilt. Many different opinions. you can google we are sew worth it and spend many hours reading. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 PM

do you wish to actually be paid for your hours of labor? If so you need to set the hourly rate you would be willing to accept, then do some estimating on how much time you spent--not sure of the size of the quilt, but I would think on a queen size, with cutting, assembly, quilting, binding you would find yourself at least with 30 hours minimum. then add the fabrics/bat/thread. So if you set your hourly at $10/hr x 30= 300 plus materials. A friend just told me for a queen size t-shirt quilt she made she spent $238 for materials and quilting(VERY inexpensive quilting at $9/sq. yard!) Be prepared for buyers to balk--most don't understand the cost of materials or time involvement.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

This has been discussed many times, and it depends on a lot of factors. The Etsy suggestion is a good one. Although you are considering parting with a completed quilt, remember that if you do decide to take a commission, get everything in writing and a 50% deposit to cover your outlay!

Here's a good discussion with a link to the worksheet they talk about:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t262731.html

http://mollisparkles.com/2014/03/tgiff-costing-sheets/
Old 01-16-2017, 05:55 AM
Banned

I price mine at 3X the cost of materials. That way I get something for my time. Its the usual formula for most hand-crafted items.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

A friend of mine makes a copy of every receipt and puts that in line with the fabric then takes a photo and files it. She is able to show any client/customer when the fabric was purchased and what she paid for it. I would've never thought of it but she says it only takes a couple minutes. When she uses all that particular fabric she tosses the photo receipt.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

fabric used from your stash still costs money. figure costs close to todays' prices.