Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How To Price Quilt >

How To Price Quilt

How To Price Quilt

Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 PM

I know this probably has been asked before but I didn't save the information. I was wondering how you price a quilt. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Others will chime in also but this is what I would do.

Consider the pattern (block), how long did it take to sew it? Did you buy the fabric? How would you want to be compensated for your time? Add it all up and maybe pad the amount or tone it down depending on whom you're sewing it for. :-D :-D

Did a search on QB:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-8711-1.htm
Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

There are so many factors , you won't get one answer .

Some will say 2 or 3 times the cost of the materials , others by the hour .

And realize you will never get the true value of your work
Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

There are many who'll say multiply your materials by two or three times to come up with a selling price . . .but if your materials were only $10 . . .would a pieced quilt you spent 3 weeks working on really only be worth $30 max???

I keep track of my time in hours . . .decide what I'm worth per hour and charge accordingly. It breaks my heart to see beautiful pieced quilts that have 160 or more hours put in . . .selling for $125. That's less than a $1 an hour! It's up to us to price our work for what it's worth . . .it IS afterall, art. There's a demand for that art. Pricing correctly keeps the market fair for all.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

i charge $20 an hour for sewing, no matter what i'm sewing; then you need to guess-timate your materials cost (remembering to add everything...fabrics, thread, patterns, interfacings...what ever you used. double or triple that amount, add in your time and you have a 'base' to start with and you can decide to adjust up or down as you feel is necessary. visit sites that offer handmade quilts for sale. remember as with anything location is a factor...what may sell in Chicago for $2500 may only sell in Northern Michigan for $250-$500
check out "quiltsforsale.com" and see what the designers there have been getting.
another way to figure it out would be to pay for an appraisal on the quilt then you can base your price on fair-market value and you will have documentation to show it's value.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i charge $20 an hour for sewing, no matter what i'm sewing; then you need to guess-timate your materials cost (remembering to add everything...fabrics, thread, patterns, interfacings...what ever you used. double or triple that amount, add in your time and you have a 'base' to start with and you can decide to adjust up or down as you feel is necessary. visit sites that offer handmade quilts for sale. remember as with anything location is a factor...what may sell in Chicago for $2500 may only sell in Northern Michigan for $250-$500
check out "quiltsforsale.com" and see what the designers there have been getting.
another way to figure it out would be to pay for an appraisal on the quilt then you can base your price on fair-market value and you will have documentation to show it's value.
tried to get to that website and they seem to advertise things not related to quilting?
is www.quiltsfor sale.com right?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 AM

I went to the www.quiltsforsale.com website -- and saw lots of advertisements. Some for chicken farms in MS, apartments, jewelry, pets, and fishing tours. Is this right?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 AM

did a seach for quilts on quiltsforsale.com came back with a zero.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks everyone. I thought there might be a simple way of figuring this out but there isn't.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

$15-$25/square foot, depending on complexity of design