Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to put these blocks together? >

How to put these blocks together?

How to put these blocks together?

Old 06-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Default How to put these blocks together?

My kids picked up these pieces at an estate sale, along with a book and some unrelated yardage, all of which I was thrilled to get.

I know (assume) these are for an equilateral triangle quilt, but I'm not sure how to put them together. As you can see in the photo, there are many pieced triangles, but only a few more of the solid blue triangles, and none of the pink, so I will have to find fabric to use for those....and cut them, which I'm a little uncertain of. Why or how, for instance, do they have blunted ends? Was there a template or are they done with a ruler? That little stack of pieced triangles will make many more blocks, probably 25-30, though I haven't counted them.

The book they got, which has beautiful patterns similar to this, did not include this one, and I'm not sure how to assemble these, once completed. From what I've seen online, diamonds seem to be the connectors but I'm sure there's a trick to how one joins these. I've never made this kind of quilt so don't really know how to proceed. I love the fabric, which looks like reproduction 30s prints.

Any ideas, suggestions, instructions?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551704[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photos-nikon-equilateral-triangle-blocksresize.jpg  
Old 06-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

there are 2 types of 60 degree rulers one has a blunted corner the other doesn't. If you are going to look for solids to complete the quilt, the ruler is a good investment. I'm not sure how many of the blocks are already pieced, but you can piece a 60 degree triangle quilt in rows with no y seams or set in seams. I would probably pick the completed star blocks apart and assemble in rows. I would fill the blank space between the 2 stars with white. If you cut 2 white 60 degree triangles, and lay them in the space, you can see how the rows would form.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 06-06-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Instead of sewing the entire block, only sew half together. Then you can sew these halves into rows. Sew the opposite half in the opposite order and then join the rows. I took a craftsy class where I did that. Think it's called Creative Strip Piecing.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

This is a difficult blcoks to piece. Take you time. Mad Quilter had a good suggestion. That is the way I would try it.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:15 PM

These two are the only completed "stars" and I actually sewed two of the blue triangles on that one. And sorry to be so dumb but do you mean to take the stars apart at the center, as in halves, or take the solid triangles off? Both Paper Princess and Madquilter seem to be saying the same thing but I'm not sure what it is, lol!

I found it interesting, by the way, that the pieced triangles are machine sewn but the two halves are sewn together by hand. Maybe whoever had these didn't fully know she she was doing either!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:38 PM

Okay! Now I get it! The triangles, pieced or solid, are sewn together in rows, not in 6 sided shapes (geometry is not my strong suit!). But this is not how she (assume a "she") did it.....wonder why?

But it's going to be the way I do it!

Thank you for your help! Maybe the fun of quilting is because they are so often an illusion, and that includes how they are put together.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Worst case scenario, if you can't face the y seams of the insets is to appliqué them onto a large block as you do with a Dresden.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Triangles have a way of making their own designs - especially equilateral ones - !

Just lay them out in various ways and you can make bigger triangles, hexagons, stars, rows - etc.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:19 AM

No ideas here but good luck on putting them together. Please share when finished.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:40 AM

Triangles have blunt ends because that point will get cut off anyway after the piece is seamed. These little triangles go together much easier and accurately if all the points are "blunted".