Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How is this quilt made? >
  • How is this quilt made?

• How is this quilt made?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:13 AM

I like to use old phone books, the paper is easy to tear off and I can get an 8" square out of most of them. If you want something bigger, you can use OLD newspapers. I say OLD because the newer papers could cause ink transfer but the older ones the ink has set in and they are fine to use. Also an old thin sheet cut into squares works well, but I prefer the Paper. You can also inquire at your newspaper office for roll ends of newsprint paper as they often sell them cheaply and a small roll lasts a long time.
    Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 AM

String blocks are a blast. I use doodle pads from the dollar store. The paper is pulpy and because you have made your stitching smaller it cracks right off. I've found removing phone books paper is not as easy. It's easiest to sew across your block corner to corner - there's your 45 degree angle. I am making a herringbone quilt now that I'm doing with 4" wide x 9" long papers - these you have to draw the 45 degree's on. I am using one constant fabric as I start and it is giving me a really cool chevron effect. I love these silly things!!!!
    Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 AM

Great quilt.... and pretty fast, too. I saw one where people didn't make the strips perfectly straight and that one was really cute as well. I don't think you have to be too fussy this this one. And, I would definitely use muslin as a background so there wasn't a lot of stretching since you'd have a ton of bias edges.
    Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM

Something no one warned you about. These things are addictive, like potato chips.
    Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Another thumbs up for phone book pages. I suggest you do 2-3 blocks at a time and just keep chasing your tail if you know what I mean. Just snip the previous block off, press, and keep going w/o removing everything off of the machine. I hope this makes sense. :-) It's very relaxing sewing.
    Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 PM

That would be a good pattern for QAYG with batting and backing for stabilizer and then sewn together in size wanted. Sewing strips on would be the quilting.
    Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Love Mary's site and many examples of heart string quilts. Love how the center string color can make the block and quick look so different.

Originally Posted by Monroe
    This Heartstrings quilting website has been a favorite of mine for years. http://heartstringsquiltproject.com/
    There are many links to roam through, an affiliated free Yahoo group, and the Maryquilts.com has wonderful free tutorials and patterns.
    Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 AM
    Power Poster

Io have made several like peckish psted. Sewed three 2-1/2" strips together, then put another three strip section on top, sew both sides together, cut into triangles using a square ruler. sew together. I just use whatever strips I have and I think they look great. I have posted pictures on this board. Scrappies were hard for me at first because I like the matchy matchy. Now I love the random scrappies also.
    Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM

I am using a large paper pad from the dollar store....it's working very well for my foundations, and the price is right!
    Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM

watch the tuts and use a foundation