Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How is this quilt made? >

How is this quilt made?

How is this quilt made?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Default How is this quilt made?

Hello fellow quilters. I want to make my son a quilt to take to college. He wants something very scrappy and random. This is very hard for me because I like matching and order. I have about twelve 1/2 yard cuts of random (but looks pretty good together) fabrics and then some odds and ends scraps that I'd like to use. I found this quilt picture on Pinterest. The gal says "foundation pieced on paper", whatever that means? I am not the best at math and figuring stuff out (usually my husband helps me, but he's on a man camping trip, great time to start a project!).

Can I just cut various size strips, sew them together, than cut on a 45º angle? How do I do it and not waste a bunch at the ends? Or do I cut my strips at a 45º and then sew them together? If someone could explain the best way to do this I would be forever grateful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dotdot...l-1846806@N20/
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482938[/ATTACH]

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-13-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: remove copyright photo
Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM

I've made this type. I used a muslin square that I then sewed on the center strip and kept working my way out. I used lots of scrappy strips. You just need a foundation to sew onto. It is a very quick quilt. After you cover the muslin with the strips you square it up. I think I did the foundation block at 10" but you can make it whatever size you like.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Here is a Youtube tutorial on how to create this block with a paper foundation. You can also use a muslin foundation, as patski describes, in which case you leave the muslin in (with paper, you have to remove the paper before sandwiching).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ02NM9-USw

Edit: In your photo, it looks as if the blocks were rectangular (either paper or muslin).

Edit #2: You can simply sew strips together and then trim into a block. However, it can be quite difficult to keep these blocks uniform because the strips are not stabilized. Using a foundation makes it very easy to use up scraps and also minimizes waste.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-13-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

You can sew strips together and then cut them at an angle or use paper of a fabric foundation. Bonnie Hunter's site has some patterns pieced on foundation papers. She uses phone book pages. Her site is www.quiltville.blogspot.ca and look under the free pattern tab.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 PM

Search google, or this site, for "string quilt". I think you'll find a lot of examples and methods. I've used dryer sheets for the foundation blocks, and it works well. Doesn't add much weight.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:04 PM

You could very easily do this without foundation piecing it. I made one very similar in this manner, only with squares instead of rectangles. Just sew strips that are cut the width of the fabric together, then cut diagonally. Since the cut edges will be on the bias, you might want to starch the sewn strips before you cut the blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482974[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails qov-string-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by Peckish; 07-13-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM

You guys/gals are the best! The Missouri Star video was very helpful. Would wrapping paper work for the paper? I can't think of anything else I have on hand that is bigger than 8 1/2 X 11.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM

I don't think wrapping paper is a good idea. It tears too easily, and moisture could cause dye bleeding. Some folks use prewashed muslin or old sheets cut slightly larger than the final size, and trim the block down after sewing. The base fabric is left in to stabilize the blocks. Maybe cut freezer/butcher paper from a roll?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Gosh, I would just use copy paper for this one. The block looks like a similar size. A very cool pattern.
peace
Old 07-13-2014, 03:49 PM

This Heartstrings quilting website has been a favorite of mine for years. http://heartstringsquiltproject.com/
There are many links to roam through, an affiliated free Yahoo group, and the Maryquilts.com has wonderful free tutorials and patterns.