Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 AM

I know that there are people out there in this wonderful forum that live, or spend a majority of there time in traveling in a travel trailer, motor home, etc. I posted this question the other day to one of the ladies that was talking about her stash, then it dawned on me to just ask the entire board. Anyway, we are moving this summer from New Jersey back to Texas. To save money for gas we are planning on moving out of our home a month early and will probably live in our brand new 5th wheel for close to 3 months. We will have our 3 teenagers, 3 animals and myself and my husband. So how do you ladies do it? Where do you store your stuff? where do you sew? What do you take with you? I hate the thought that I am going to have all this time and nothing to sew. I know I could do hand stuff and will probably do some but that gets tiresome to me. I am also thinking of making some kits? Anyway you guys have such great ideas I can't wait to hear them. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Quiltingfan, I sew/quilt a lot in a travel trailer (although not with 3 teens and animals!). However, I'm sure you can do it! I found it important to be very organized, and make up kits ahead of time. I keep everything for the kit (cut fabric, pattern, thread, etc) in large zip lock bags, and I keep all of the kits in a box. I also use a small 2-sided pressing/cutting surface (12" square) and a small travel iron. I have a rolling bag that has my smaller travel sewing machine and all of the basics, plus the iron and pressing mat. See, only two things to store and haul out!

I sew at the dining table when my husband is out doing his "thing". I'm sure your teens and hubby will find something to keep them busy during the summer, oh, and suggest they take the animals with them :-)
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 AM

A lot depends on the motorhome. Ours is an old model;almost no storage..long hallway & we're FTr's. Sewing machine stored beside beside bed. Stash is in boxes & bags under my recliner. Some have storage (space) behind couch & use that area. Others keep stuff under the bed in that storage area. We had to get rid of our couch to install the bird cage, so I sew in my recliner on a wooden TV tray. You'll have more space than I do, I'm sure. I cut on top of the stove top cover. Suggestion: get or bring an Ottlite. You'll need it because lighting is worse than horrid in these units unless they've improved immensely!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 AM

I don't. Even when we spent a year in ours. I purchased a counted cross stitch and never did it. It went to Texas for 3 months last winter too. Still isn't touched.

I just find we are so busy sightseeing, shopping and just taking sometime to hang with the kitties that there really isn't a bunch of spare time.

Those small refers don't hold much so you have to be grocery shopping every few days. Not a lot of space for laundry to pile up so that has to be done once a week. Wee house doesn't take long to clean but needs it more often.

And on a journey you'll always be needing to pick the next spot or route. But having time to just wander is so wonderful!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM

3 months in a trailer with three teenagers, hubby and animals...they would have to commit me...Good luck with that...
Old 04-23-2011, 06:47 AM

I spent the winter months after Christmas making kits for the time I will be away from my studio. Since we take both vehichles, because of different schedules, I leave the bulk of my projects in the van. I have been at the farm for 2 1/2 days now and miss my studio and only forgot 1 project. My husband will be here in a week or 2 and he can bring it. I was hoping to do some gardening but it snowed 8". Will sew until it warms up. My son works a seasonal job and I watch the 3 year old while mom and dad are working. When there is a crowd, I stay in the camper and use the table to sew at. In the house I set up a small table for the machine in the bedroom.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
3 months in a trailer with three teenagers, hubby and animals...they would have to commit me...Good luck with that...
My thoughts exactly. My family would be taking bets on who was left alive at the end of the trip!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 AM

I do my cutting at home. I make up kits and package everything needed in plastic bags. The sewing maching goes next to my bed and my projects go in the closets. It's only my husband and me, so I have empty closets. I take a small folding table that I can set up in front of the couch or take outside. Yes, the ott light is a must have if you plan sewing in the evening or even on cloudy days. I have a small one that sits on the table and folds up for storage. I don't take a stash, but of course I buy fabric along the way. On some trips I do no sewing, and on other trips I just do handwork, but I am looking forward to doing more piecing work when we go this summer. We're retired, but we aren't full-timers or evern snowbirds since we babysit for young grands during the school year. I'm sure that you are used to working with the kids and animals around and a fifth wheel will give you lots of room, but if you find using the machine to be too challenging just sit back and enjoy the trip and the togetherness. You will probably never get to spend this much time together as a family and teenagers have a way of growing up and moving away all too quickly. Make this an adventure you will never forget.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 AM

We are also looking at trailers to retire in, and one of the things we are looking at is my sewing. It is my therapy. We have looked at toy haulers which has an additional room in the back for toys, and it could hold my sewing room if needed. Still looking though, good question.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 AM

We spent nearly 6 years in a 5th wheel. I only had one dog and no kids but I set up a small folding table in the back window and a plastic 3-drawer bin beneath it. All my "stuff" went in the bin. The two easy chairs were kept on the floor and my table went behind them so we could still watch TV. The machine stayed on the table when we were parked somewhere. I had an Ott task lamp for lighting, which can be folded up when not in use. I had a long kitchen counter that I could lay a smaller cutting mat on. When it and rulers were not in use, they were put in under the bed storage. It can be done, it is crowded but like you, sewing was my therapy. You can only work on one project at a time, usually. Because we did a lot of hosting for Oregon state parks, I did a lot of mending for other park hosts who had no access to a sewing machine.