Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
small travel trailer...got one?? >

small travel trailer...got one??

small travel trailer...got one??

Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

we are seriously thinking about getting a small travel trailer this year...around 16-17' as the smaller ones are not tall enough inside for my 6' DH....

do you have one, what type, how do you like it, how did you find it, etc....

thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 PM

We have a 13 foot 1960 Aloha trailer. We rebuilt it from the frame up it has just the important things a bed, table, Ice box,(we use real Ice not elec)toilet, 3 burner stove , no oven. We only wanted a place to get out of the weather and sleep. We found it parked behind the neighbors house used for storage gave then $50 for it spent about $900 fixing it up I made the new cushions and curtains DH did all the work on it himself.We are hoping to make a trip with it to MI this sumer to visit our son and his family. It travels well behind our 1/2 truck
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM

We have a 21 foot fifth wheel --about 20 yrs old. We got it thru Craigslist. We have recovered couch and bench seats, new carpet, new toilet and new curtains. DH is constantly doing something to it. LOL. We, too, have a 1/2 ton pickup. We used to own a 36 foot diesel pusher........and HATED it! yes, it had room, but it was such a pain to get into parking spaces, etc. And climbing the stairs up into it just about did my hips in. This 5th wheel has 2 steps....I LOVE it!

Be sure to go to NADA.com and look up any rig you're considering. We almost bought one until we found it weight almost 1000 lbs more than others AND the value was a lot less than the sellers wanted.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM

We have a 26 ft Coachmen that we bought new last year. It's just the right size for us and we are able to pull it with a pick up truck. It's one of the lightweight ones and we are looking forward to using it more this summer. We have a queen bed in the back and sofa and dinette beds. All of the beds seem to be short, but we manage well with just the two of us. It has a side dinette with a slide out and a rear kitchen that seems to give me more room. Anything bigger would seem hard for us to travel with, but we've had a truck camper and a class A motorhome in the past and I do enjoy having a little more space. It is sometimes difficult for my husband to park because he's never driven a trailer before, but with more practice I'm sure he will get better. When we're away life is peaceful and just more enjoyable. Good luck finding something you can have fun it.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 PM

You can't beat a small fifth wheel... they turn on a dime and easy to handle on the road. Do not get the side winds a tag along gets when simi's are passing. In a small fifth wheel you have your bed over top, all storage under bed. usually a small sitting room plus kitchen combined. I lvoed ours though it was a 35 foot, we travel construction for 18 years, raised 2 children on the road. A great life and son love it. All over the USA. I ,miss it. Enjoyed parking in KOA's they have everything including wonderful people to meet and chat with., usually a pool, laundries, and BIG showers. lol.. What ever you get enjoy.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:40 PM

I'm sorry I can't reply to your travel trailer question since we've never had one but we do have a truck camper and a fifth wheel... love them both for different purposes. As for getting around easily and going absolutely anywhere, the truck camper can't be beat. Our grandson is 6'2" and has no trouble in it. We actually drove this truck and our old old truck camper (RIP) up Pikes Peak! :shock: (we were nearly 50 yrs old we should have had better sense, but we were feeling adventurous, I guess).

Here are a couple of pics of the truck with camper and the interior of the camper. It is a 1992 Lance.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197661.jpe   attachment-197662.jpe  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 PM

The truck one looks pretty good! We used to have 25 ft motor home. Loved it!!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:48 AM

we have a 13' trillium, i love it except for the porta potty it is under a bunk lol, so we got a 21' CampLite ultra with a a bathroom, that i love! Gas is so expensive, we won't be going far tho.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 AM

I've had many over the course of the last 20 + yrs....
* Get as new a one as u can afford... they tend to get better gas milage.
*Bigger is NOT better
*Get big enough for the 2 of ur to be chummy but not falling over each other.. remember there will be days of inclimate weather
*Class A & C have more storage
*Trailer have more livablility.
*5th Wheels are more stablile.
*get an awning if u can afford one, they are so nice in teh sun at the end of a long day driving

sit back and enjoy
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 AM

We have a 26' Cedar Creek and we LOVE it! It is nice and roomy with the slide out but you can still walk thru with the slide in. Something you have to watch out for as not all units are useable with the slide(s) in.

We previously had a 19' and got really tired of the couch being the bed.

Then we had a 26' Splash by National RV without a slide and tripped over each other toooooooo much. It was actually a 24' box. But we learned that this was a great size for getting a space anywhere. We often scored a spot due to being small.

Look really hard at quality issues! A gelcoat fiberglass exterior is far easier to care for than corrugated metal. A sealed underbelly helps keep your holding tanks warmer as does tank heaters.

The Cedar Creek is a whole lot bigger (taller and 2' longer box and slideout) but tows easier and we get better mileage than we did with the smaller, lighter trailer.

Our unit is no longer made (just 5th wheels and cottage units) but we were lucky to find a bank repo that looked like it had been barely used for a GREAT price :-)