Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How should I cut up my fabric for storage/later use? >

How should I cut up my fabric for storage/later use?

How should I cut up my fabric for storage/later use?

Old 04-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I don't cut mine until I'm ready to use it. But I can see the value in having the scrap pieces already cut into the sizes you usually need. I would love it if the quilt fairy would take all my scraps and do just that with them.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:19 PM

There are several scrap cutting systems out there - Bonnie Hunter, and I think Scrapbusters. But as soon as I've cut a 3", I'll need a 3.5 - so I never do it.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 AM

When I finish a project and have less than a fat quarter, I cut 2.5" strips and save for binding on charity quilts. Also I met a gal at quilt guild and she does scrap quilts and give the rest to her... So freeing to get rid of good fabric to another quilter.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM

I also do not cut until I know what project I'm going to do. Then if you need a bunch of a certain size the just take part of a day & do the cutting.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I never cut a FQ or anything larger. I only cut up scraps and odd sized pieces - which I cut into 5" and or 2.5" pieces.
I say, do what suits your style. I, too, cut anything smaller than a FQ or a 1/4 yd, into 2 1/2" sqs., 2 1/2" strips or 5" sqs. and sort them by color. If I didn't, I would NEVER use them, because I hate rummaging through boxes looking for the right size/color. That is me. You may be different. I also can't deal with clutter, so have to have them organized in a way that is useful to me.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM

I'm an absolute NO CUTTER before I know what the fabric will be used for. I arrange my fabric according to color, holiday, Nebraska, juvenile, flannel, food print and etc. Each fabric is prewashed before use. I measure EVERY full piece AND scrap piece (individual odd smaller scrap pieces are measured & sorted in another tote) and after folding all UNDER ONE YARD CUTS the same (like fat qrtrs from the LQS), I use my address labels with the measurements on the piece and sort the pile according to the smallest cut on top, to the largest at the bottom. That way if I need THAT particular color piece for something I'm working on, I know I don't have to go through the whole pile to find the right size piece I can cut from. The over one yard pieces are ruler folded on a separate pile next to the other. All fat quarters are stored in fat quarter bags separated by color and etc as above. This works for me. Good Luck.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:29 PM

I don't cut my fabric until I'm ready to use it, either. I'm working on two quilts now - one made of 1.5" strips, and one paper pieced. I would have had to buy all new fabric for both of these if I had precut my stash, which is why I like to leave yardage intact until I've decided what to do with it.

To store my yardage neatly, I wrap it around comic book boards, creating little bolts. I can tell approximately how much there is by the thickness of the mini-bolt. The bolts stand nicely in a bookcase, and I have them sorted by colour so that I can easily see what I have.

I fold fat quarters all the same way, then store them in clear plastic shoe boxes, also sorted by colour. Since the boxes are clear(ish), I can also tell at a glance what I have.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM

I don't cut anything until I go to use it. Fortunately my stash/scrap is limited to a small area in our project room. I have never purchased for stash, only projects. I do need a better way to organize it though.
When I think I will not use some fabric, I send it to a friend in AR, she makes things and sells them to benefit Diabetes.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 PM

No way! I cut it when I'm ready to use it for some project after many years of petting and pondering, storing and enjoying!