Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How should I dry my quilt?

I read and been given conflicting information about drying a quilt. Should I air dry or put it into the dryer?

I toss mine in a dryer for a few minutes, then I drape across chairs (or hang) to air dry. I haven't had a problem with them......and if they fall apart, then the quilting is NOT good (or piecing for that matter)

Power Poster
    The ones I make are only "couch size" or smaller - and I dry them on a gentle cycle until they are dry in my home dryer.

They come out fine.

(The fabrics and battings were soaked in hot water before they were cut and sewn )

I dry it until it is fluffed and then I spread it out on a chair to finish drying.

Power Poster
    If it is an heirloom or quilt show quilt, than you should dry it carefully. For all my quilts, I put them from the spin cycle from the washer into the dryer. I dry until almost dry and then spread it on the clean carpet in the spare room and shut the door. If you don't have clean carpet, spread out a clean sheet and then put the damp quilt on it to dry. I like to do it this way so that the quilt comes out nice and flat without too many wrinkles. Use your best judgement because there will be as many opinions on drying a quilt as there are for washing one.

Power Poster
    How a quilt is handled depends a lot on how it was made and what it was made of and what condition it is in.

Blog Entries
    I throw mine in both the washer & dryer on regular. I want them tested to the max before I give them away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I throw mine in both the washer & dryer on regular. I want them tested to the max before I give them away.
    me too!

I always put in the dryer, no problem.

I put even my "very best " quilts in the dryer. I do re-postion them in the dryer so they can dry evenly. They are cotton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast