Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice should I this or should I that? >

Need advice should I this or should I that?

Need advice should I this or should I that?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Ok, I finally got my head around the paper piecing thing and as an added bonus...I expanded my vocabulary on the same day! :oops:

Here is my current dilema..I'm showing you the quilt pattern, then I paper pieced the flying geese (well, I'm in the process anyway). Ok..now, should I build the rows horizontally and use the FG in small increments..like I have 3 laid out already...OR should I do a long vertical row of FG and build the rows vertically...like I have 1 halfway done? Also, should I take off the paper BEFORE I sew them to the blocks OR AFTER?

I'm getting there...just slowly...what would you do?

Heres the quilt design- Love of my Life quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4250[/ATTACH]

Here are some of the short FG
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7315[/ATTACH]

This shows the long FG..sorry, but you'll get neck excercise looking at this one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7422[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-4250.jpe   attachment-7315.jpe   attachment-7422.jpe  
Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure which would be better but I had to say that I really like how your quilt is turning out :D
Old 04-30-2008, 03:07 PM

that will be one beautiful quilt! love that background fabric! I have never paper pieced, but if any of those edges on the fg units are on the bias i think it might be best to do it in horizontal rows and take paper off after just to keep the edges stable. but like i said never done pp so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
lin

I like the idea of the long, vertical row. it will make the blocks look like panels. That's going to be one sweet quilt. It's gorgeous!! Congrats on getting the hang of the paper piecing. I leave my paper in until I get it sewn to the next piece. I think it makes a great stabilizer while I'm sewing the blocks together and with the line there, you can be sure you're getting a perfect ¼" every time.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 PM

I'd do it either way. I know, not much help, but it's going to be pretty once you finish.
Paper piecing to me, is fun, once you get the hang of it.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:17 PM

what is going to be in the square between the pinwheel blocks? it appears to be a heart but what technique are you doing on them?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Administrator

i very most emphatically vote UP AND DOWN, please.

save those new words you learned. if you make another quilt using a new technique, you might need them again. :lol: :wink: :lol:

leave the paper on until you've trimmed them to size, the remove it like elmer fudd: vewy, vewy, vewy carefuwwy
Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM

I went back and looked at them again.
I agree...up and down would work the best.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM

hey sandpat, great quilt design. don't you just love those perfect points you get with paper piecing?
i say definitely leave the paper on for stability also because the lines on the paper will help you keep it straight as you put it together.
as far as whether to sew the whole row down or sew as sort of a sashing across, i say whichever is the most comfortable for you. i would probably sew rows across because i could keep everything straighter that way. also the geese will stay more even. if i sewed a long row of geese i might end up with half a goose when i put it together. :oops:
again i love this design and can hardly wait to see your finished quilt.
have fun :!: :wink: :!:
Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 PM

ok Patrice & tlr share with me your reasoning for vertical rows. my train of thought was pretty much like nanabirds, but i am always open to different ideas(please dont think i am trying to get into a right or wrong debate) some times i can be pretty dense and miss the most obvious lol!!!