Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How should I quilt this? >

How should I quilt this?

How should I quilt this?

Old 08-29-2015, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

It depends on you quilting abilities. Crosshatching the quilt would be the easiest. I always used a quilting stencil in the center blocks and stitch straight diagonally thru the chain squares.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:48 AM

My skills are crude, but this would be an opportunity to try something new because it's for me and I can be both critical and forgiving.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

The diagonal lines are sewn on the bias of the quilt, which stretches during use of the finished quilt. That's probably why the stitching broke. I try to avoid diagonal quilting on bigger quilts for this reason.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 AM

One of my early quilts had stitching that popped all over the place. It had toe catchers. I had been advised to use serger thread for my piecing and quilting. Bad idea. I now only use quality quilting thread.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 AM

Manalto, I would suggest that you make a few trial squares in which you try different tension/stitch lengths on your machine. Write on the sandwich the settings you used. Use these guides when you are trying something new to see which setting (based on fabric weight, batting weight, backing weight and thread) gives you the look you want. Punch holes in your sandwich and create a "notebook" for reference. I have several such notebooks and you don't have to keep it all in your head. Have fun.