Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How in the world do I iron this? >

How in the world do I iron this?

How in the world do I iron this?

Old 06-18-2016, 04:23 PM

Question How in the world do I iron this?

I have been working on a quilt top for 3+ years. It has taken me this long due to the fact that I cannot leave it in/on my workspace, I must pick it up at the end of each day. You can imagine how many times it has been folded in the past few years. Finally, I am ready to work on the backing. The quilt top now measures 112" x 112"--a king-size one. How am I going to get the folds out? How can I press some of the stubborn ones? Any & all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

For me it would depend on the piecing. I would put it on my big board face down and work across it making sure all my seam allowances are ironed in the proper direction. I would mist any stubborn spots as I go. After all the allowances are ironed I would start ironing the front being careful to pick it up and move into the next section rather then sliding it. Sliding will cause the seam allowances to ride up. You might like to put a table beside you to hold the freshly ironed sections. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2016, 05:29 PM

i agree with Tartan
Old 06-18-2016, 07:05 PM

Ummm... how much would the dry cleaners charge to press/steam it for you?
I stick to small quilts, but that's what I'd do and would bring 3 wrapping paper tubes so I could carefully roll it once pressed/steamed rather than folding it.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 PM

Check into buying a garment steamer at one of the big box stores. They are not expensive and work great for taking wrinkles and folds out of clothing. You could also lay your quilt out on a bed rather than try to wok with it on a narrow ironing board.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:18 PM

If you spray baste it may not be a problem- if it has fold creases, not wrinkles. If its wrinkles then it needs to be pressed. But I have sandwiched tops with folds in them. I spray baste in sections and smooth the top as I go. The adhesive holds it flat. Then to be on the safe side I add a few safety pins here and there so there is no stress on the adhesive as I wrestle it around on my DSM.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:36 PM

You could hang it outside on a line and spritz with water. If the iron reaches steam vertically down folds.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:17 AM
Power Poster

I too agree with Tartan. Take your time because pressing it correctly will make the quilting look so much better.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:23 AM

You could try adding a little vinegar to your spray bottle. It should help pressing out stubborn creases.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I knew I could count on the board. I think I will combine some of your ideas. Lay it on a bed, lower my ironing board to the mattress level of that bed, use a mister, and press it face down. Thanks again to all