Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how would you quilt this?

how would you quilt this?

I made a "Vertical Visions" quilt from the book Batik Gems. I want to FMQ it, but I don't know what to do. I think a vertical design, along each of the sections would be good, but I can't figure out a design to use. (Note the picture is sideways, so I'm looking to quilt in the horizontal sections, in this photo) I definitely don't want feathers, although I've seen them done nicely in this format. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

Name:  PB020429_1.JPG
Views: 2077
Size:  226.8 KB

Here is just one suggestion for you.

There is a product called Quilter's Preview Paper made by Quilter's Touch @

http://www.quilterstouch.com/previewpaper

It isn't really a paper as much as a roll of thicker plastic with black borders at top and bottom. The idea is to put this on top of your quilt and use a felt tip pen to draw your quilting design. The black borders are to prevent you from drawing on your quilt. You can easily wipe off the pen drawing and start again. This way you can play around with what you think you like best on your quilt. Once you try it you'll love it.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I think that a stipple stitch (or meander) would work well

Beautiful colors!

Our lives are like quilts bits and pieces, joy and sorrow,
    stitched with love.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some transparencies, so maybe I'll try sketching a few things and see if that inspires me. All I can think of is vines & leaves - I was hoping someone here would be more creative than me I really don't want to just do a meander - that's my "fall back, I don't know what to do" stitch, and this quilt is for a gift so I don't want to take the easy way out.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieCMilligan View Post
    I think that a stipple stitch (or meander) would work well

Beautiful colors!
    I agree. Great quilt.

Maybe a leafy branch design that matches the border print.

Very pretty quilt!

How close/heavy do you want to quilt?? If you want to do a lot of quilting .....

I think I would handle it like I would handle a sampler quilt and treat each 'block' differently. I'd try to mix curved lines and straight lines as much as I could.

Check out Leah Day's site ... thinking designs like Swirling Water, Desert Sand, Ocean Current, Pebble Paisley, Fiery Commet ... in some rectangles, and straight line designs in a few of the others to break it up/mix it up.

I would put a circular pattern in the square patch blocks - something like her Sea Oat Flower.

I would SITD around the black bars and around the square blocks in the borders.

The borders I think Leah's H2O design of lines with circles would unite everything together.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Love this quilt. Can't wait to see how you quilt it!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Thanks DogHouseMom. I don't want to quilt it too heavily, but maybe I can get some inspiration from those pages and come up with something light to us.
    tesspug, I like that idea, if I can figure out how to translate it in thread.

I don't have any suggestions, but I love your quilt. There is something intriguing about it. I keep going back to take another look at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast