Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt this? >

How would you quilt this?

How would you quilt this?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM

Default How would you quilt this?

I'm struggling with how to quilt this. I feel like an all over pattern might dilute the piecing. I'll do something different in the border, but the main part of the quilt is my problem. My FMQ is at the novice level at this point. I can do stippling, loop de loop, or similar things decently. I've thought about stitch in the ditch across the horizontal seam lines, which are 1.5 inches apart. I'll be using Quilter's Dream Cotton, so the quilting doesn't have to be all that close. Also, what would you use for thread color? I found a red that is pretty close to the border. I also found a variegated Sulky blendable that has red (although a bit lighter than the border) and tans. I don't want to get too complicated on it because I need to have it done in a few weeks. Appreciate any opinions!
Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM

Your quilt is striking. The variegated thread should be beautiful. I have a long arm and would probably use a panto that has a lot of curves in it. I like sharp angles to be softened a bit, but that's just me.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 PM

It's a lovely quilt! Funny thing that happens when I look at this pattern (which I love!) is that my eyes lose the design - some of the reversals of colours start looking like the blocks are turned the wrong way. They're not, but my eyes get lost. To help that, I'd try to make a similar pattern in the top and bottom opposite inside portions of each 2-pair block, and closely stipple or pebble the outside portions.

For example, in the top left corner is a pair of blocks, the outer portion (top) are red/white pattern and the inner portion (top) is red solid. It's pair is reversed - outer (bottom) red solid, inner (bottom) red/white pattern. Treat this as one block, and do something like an elongated floral design or feathers or spiraling rectangles into the centre on the inner portion. Do a small stipple or pebbles in the outer portion. A terrible example of what my long-winded explanation is trying to say!!!

Attached Thumbnails 003a.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Hehe. Great minds think alike. Before I even saw Linda's, I was thinking something similar. I was thinking maybe a rounded cross to add movement & a modification of Leah Day's "wiggly pasta" (only going 1 direction, rather than doubling back & overlapping). http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...gly-pasta.html

Attached Thumbnails cross.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Power Poster

the variegated thread sounds perfect. and as long as the quilting does not have to be that close, i think your loopy meandering will look just fine on this pattern. you did a great job on the top
Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 PM

It was So interesting reading your explanations. You are all good teachers! Can I ask how you drew the squiggleys? What program? By the way, your quilt is very nice.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I like linear quilting with quilts that have sharp lines. I would FMQ doing an echo a 3/8 of an inch from the zig zag inside and outside. The quilt has a nice southwest flair and I love the fabrics you chose.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Can I ask how you drew the squiggleys? What program? By the way, your quilt is very nice.
Paint. Wish I had something better. It's really difficult to draw on a touch pad with finger, but have to work with what I have.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

I too agree the verigated thread is a good choice and something simple for a quilting motif.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Can I ask how you drew the squiggleys? What program? By the way, your quilt is very nice.
Paint is what I used too Crude but it's what I had.