Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: HQ Sixteen quilter needs help...

HQ Sixteen quilter needs help...

I have this machine and trying to quilt a teeshirt quilt. I completed all but the last roll and ran out of bobbin thread. I changed the thread and switched to free hand quilting vs doing the panograph quilting. Now I get tangled thread and lots of eyelashes on the bottom. The top quilting is always fine. I have checked my threading of the machine, bobbin tension, cleaned and oiled the machine and changed the needle, no improvements. I have tried 4 x's to quilt this. I 'm wondering what settings you have your machine set. Stitch length, and are you on regulated setting. Do you quilt faster than when you follow a panograph pattern? Also does it matter if the teeshirt top is on the bottom or not? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

When you put the bobbin in, did you happen to rethread the machine? Did you do it correctly with the foot raised?
    Was the foot still up when you were quilting? Those issues would bring about birds nests.
    K
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Blog Entries
    I say try another bobbin...
    Bernie

Thank-you for your suggestions, I will give them a try. in a few days I will let you know how it went.

Blog Entries
    Usually when you get birds nests on the bottom, it's a problem with the top thread. When this happens to me, it's almost always because the top thread has gotten caught on something. When you get eyelashing, that's usually a tension issue.

Blog Entries
    If you do not find the solution to this issue, call HQ Support. They are really great to walk you through what might be the problem.
    Sadiemae

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    What is "eyelashes"? I have seen it on this board before, but I don't understand what it means.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    when the mess is on the bottom it's due to the threading on the top; it's always the opposite of where the problem is. Try rethreading your machine; not just checking go ahead and rethread it.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    What is "eyelashes"? I have seen it on this board before, but I don't understand what it means.
    This is a picture of 'eyelashing'. See how the top thread gets pulled...you can see the loops and its not flat. Not a good stitch quality. Could be quilting too fast or bad tension (depends if they show up on top or bottom)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

i know it sounds crazy, but cut the thread, and re thread the top and bottom thread, some times even a new or used needle could do that, and the quilting doesnt stay in good, when it eyelashes like that- if all else fails- do what i do-
    call Handi-Quilter in Arizona, they have wonderful teachers there who can help over the phone, and they are sew nice!
    good luck
    katz