Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ Sweet Sixteen or Baby Lock >

HQ Sweet Sixteen or Baby Lock

HQ Sweet Sixteen or Baby Lock

Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 AM

Default HQ Sweet Sixteen or Baby Lock

I am very new to quilting, and I suppose I should get to work on "mastering" the quilting technique. LOL
I can do stitch-in-the-ditch, but haven't done any free motion yet.

I remain very intrigued with these quilter machines, like the Sweet Sixteen.
Our local shop isn't bringing that one in anymore and is trying to sell the Baby Lock.
They are A LOT of $, and I'm not there yet,
but I sure like thinking about it.

So, a friend of mine quilted a table runner that I made (wedding gift) on her long arm.
I had her put some designs in some of the large squares. It came out gorgeous.
As I was showing it to another friend I commented that I wish I could find a small quilter machine that would do the "designs," and she said the small sit down quilter machines will do it.
I didn't know that!
I'm even sure how to look into it.

If I could get a small sit down machine to do that, I might look more seriously into getting one.
Can you help?
I thought the smaller machines were just good for free motion, not to be programmable.
Would love to hear of your experience(s) with these machines.
Thanks!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

there are a couple of variables here. If your quilter friend did the motifs using a computerized long arm, then no, a sit down machine can't do that. If she transferred a design to the block by drawing it on or pouncing it then quilted over the lines, then yes a sit down can do that. The friend who said the sit down could duplicate what the quilter did probably thought that the second method was used. The last alternative is an embroidery machine. There are lots of folks who use theirs to do entire quilts. I wasn't too successful at that, but do use it for small items.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:32 AM

I have the Sweet 16 and like PaperPrincess stated, yes, you can do designs. I either draw them with chalk or draw them on tissue paper and quilt over the paper. I cannot do free-hand, FMQ type quilting but being a former hand-quilter, I like each block of my quilt to be quilted separately rather than an all over free style. When I do FMQ I feel like I'm not in control (I guess I'm too anal) and end up with just scribbles.

If your LQS has one, please try it out. I tried one for 5 minutes and was instantly sold. Haven't regretted the purchase (and yes, it is an investment). I would never get any projects finished without it. Good luck on your decision.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 AM

I agree.. the sit down machines will not do computerized designs. They just physically can't. The longarms that have electronics like that have cables/tracks whatever you call them and that helps guide the machine to do what it needs to do. The computer tells the carriage which way to go and it goes.
A sit down machine will just allow you to have a lot more room to move your quilt around. You have to do the moving. You can mark your quilt but you physically move the fabric. The machine is stationary.

They are making stitch regulators now for a lot of the sit down machines. I have heard mixed reviews on them. If you practice a bit you will get your stitches even.

I have a sit down Tin Lizzie and I love it. It doesn't get used as much as I would like but then I don't make as many quilts as I would like. I do plan on making a ton of them this coming year though... but then I said that last year too.

I suggest taking some Craftsy classes. They are starting to get some good ones. Your free motion skills will improve dramatically and it might give you the a push. It won't take long before you are quilting up a storm
Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what paperPrincess said. With the sit down machine you can not do computerized quilting. You can mark it and quilt anything you want. With the long arm you can use a computer or pantos along with FMQ rulers work, ect.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Ditto what paperPrincess said. I have a Sunshine 16 sit down FMQ machine, which was half the price of an HQ Sweet 16 sit down machine and is 100% made in America. Check it out at 222.Sunshine16.com.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Ditto what paperPrincess said. I have a Sunshine 16 sit down FMQ machine, which was half the price of an HQ Sweet 16 sit down machine and is 100% made in America. Check it out at 222.Sunshine16.com.
mckwilter, how do you like your Sunshine 16? A friend just saw one at Houston and said it was great for stability, they had it on a simple card table and no vibrations. Great price also.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 AM

The HQ Sweet 16 and the Baby Lock Tiara are the same machine. HQ makes them and Baby Lock re-badges it and sells it ... usually at a slightly higher price.

There are several other manufacturers who have entered the "sit down" quilting machine market ... APQS, Innova, Perrywinkle, Baily ... possibly more.

Try the one at your local shop first to see if you like the concept of a sit-down long arm. If you think it's something you would like, then try as many of the others you can get your hands on (the larger quilt shows are great places to try several in one day). Get prices and info on service and support. The fact that you have "local" shop that sells one of them is a bonus as you will have local service/support (but ask ... do they have free classes with the purchase of the machine, what is their service like? etc).
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
mckwilter, how do you like your Sunshine 16? A friend just saw one at Houston and said it was great for stability, they had it on a simple card table and no vibrations. Great price also.
I really like it. You can get the machine that sits on any table, which is what I have, or the machine that has a table with it, which still costs less than the HQ. It's a very stable machine and very easy to use. I spent some time at the booth and "scribbled" with the machine. I even did some simple Zentangles with it. This year, she has a corner table, with the machine seated at the corner diagonal and has a 24" throat, along with the 16" throat machines.

If you have any questions, call Nancy, the owner of the company. She will be happy to speak with you.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks mcwilter, I am saving my pennies right now. I just wanted to hear from someone who works with one. Plus I like the fact that it's out of Tennessee.