Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit >

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

Old 04-04-2015, 05:33 PM

Default Longarm

Originally Posted by milly35 View Post
I am continuing to research FMQ machines and I have a few questions. The BlockRockit is appealing to me because it has a frame for the quilt (no sandwich-making!) and you control the handles / move the machine to quilt. However, I have been reading many reviews and the sit down mid arms are getting rave reviews. But with the mid arm you would still need to make the quilt sandwich and you move the material (not the machine) to FMQ. I am wondering if anyone has experience with both and would like to hear your opinions, likes, dislikes. Thank you very much.
Hi milley35,
look into the hq16. Mom and I purchased one used and love it. It has been a learning curve, but we are always trying/learning new things. Next to figure out the prostitcher. I think you would b happy with one. Look at longarm university.com. They sell used quilting machines, happy hunting!!!!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:37 PM

I have the BlockRockit on a Grace GMQ Pro frame and I love it. I quilt only for myself and do not need a extra large quilting machine. I think the larger machines may be for those who quilt for others or do extensive machine quilting. The BlockRockit is easy to use and is made simply enough that you can do your own maintenance. The lighting is great and the stitch regulator is easy to use and you can't beat the customer service. I do have a lot of tension problems but I hear from owners of all types of machines, that tension problems are usual. I suggest you join the Blockrockit yahoo group. They have a data base of where their machine owners live. The owners on the database make their machines available to those who may want to try it before they buy. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 PM

I'm finding all of your comments very helpful. I'm also trying to decide on a sit down model. I simply don't want to give up the space a frame would require. (besides, our 2 cats would think it was their personal hammock.) I've looked at the HQ sweet sixteen and the Gammill Charm. I love that the Charm can be controlled using voice commands, making the foot pedal unnecessary. I've been sewing on my Janome 6600 for 3 years and have become spoiled by the on/off button and speed control. I also have a problem with my calf muscle when I sew using the foot pedal.
Are there other sit down mid arms which will allow me to bypass the foot pedal?
Old 04-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Due to space, I bought the Tiara. ( sit down). As with anything, it is a learning curve. I am satisfied since I don't have the $$ or space for a long arm!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:11 PM

You don't need the foot pedal on the HQ Sweet 16 if you're using the stitch regulator.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM

I have the HQ18 Avante. And like everyone else I love my machine. You should sit down and make a list of all your wants & needs. Keeping in mind your budget, your space and how often you would use it. Different machines come with different size tables. Some tables you have to raise the take up bar after so many rows of quilting. With the HQ18 the take up bar is situated where there is no need to raise it. My machine comes with a 12ft table. So you must do your research and make sure it will fit your space and accommodate your needs. Then go find dealers that carry the machines you like and play to get a feel for the machine. If a dealer is not willing to let you play, they are not interest enough to have you for a customer. And imagine how hard it would be to get them to help you if you encounter a problem. You must love you dealer as well as the machine. So go play and have fun doing it. Find the one you love.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM

I thank everyone for all the great input. It is so helpful to hear your comments and opinions. I do not have experience with FMQ and my thought is that I would prefer to stand and quilt on a frame but space may be the issue. My craft room is very small. I am hoping to attend a quilt show this weekend to test drive a few machines.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 AM

Milly, did you make a decision on the quilting machine? I would be interested in what you chose and why. If you bought it at a show, did you get a better price?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Hi Pat - I have not yet made a final decision but I continue to research. I am thinking the HQ Avante may be the machine for me. However, APQS Lenni is on a very good sale right now (but I have not been able to test drive the Lenni and don't know when I would be able). I do think show pricing is the best. If you are looking at machines I would recommend you try doing as much research and test driving as you can and then hopefully there will be a show where you can make your final decision.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM

I was so confused when I began quilting my own quilts four years ago, wondering what system would work for me. It was right here on the Quilting Board that I found my HQ16! I have had it since 2011 and I love it! It has stitch regulation and a perfect stitch. Since I purchased it I have upgraded it in many ways with a new pole system and a new frame. And guess what? I'm selling it! The reason? I'm upgrading to a computerized Handi Quilter. If you are interested and would like more information and pictures please email me or PM...I'd love to make you a great deal.