Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
APQS George Midarm? >

APQS George Midarm?

APQS George Midarm?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM

Default APQS George Midarm?

Does anyone here quilt on an APQS George? If so, do you like it? If not, what did you choose instead and why? I've found one on Craigslist that is a few years old, rarely used and about half of retail for a new one. I'd like to get some opinions before I decide.

I'm just a hobbyist, and I've been thinking about moving to a better all-in-one machine because I don't need anything like a long arm. But truly, I don't need another machine for piecing, just quilting, so this option is looking really good.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:11 PM

I've seen the George but didn't even try it out. The price tag sent me running. I am in the minority. I bought a Tin Lizzie sit down instead. I like my Lizzie. I opted to get it instead of the HQ for several reasons - I like the machine orientation, I didn't have to buy an overlay because the machine sits too high on the table without the overlay, I also really liked the table itself. It came with a huge fold up extension off the back which I love... and with the difference in cost I purchased a Juki 2000 for piecing which I absolutely adore.

The George is a great machine but the $2500 extra difference between it and the Lizzie can go really far.
There are several other companies that offer a sit down machine. If you are able to you should go to a big quilt show and try them all out in one day so you can try the machines back to back and figure out what is best for you
Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks! That's great information, I'm off and researching...

I had not considered a mid- or longarm before mainly because of price, but when this machine came up it piqued my interest. Now I have to decide if I have a crush on the idea, or if it's true love. LOL

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM

I have the handi quilter sit down and love it. Had a long arm but jus t didn't have the space for it, you need about 2 feet on each side plus front & back
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Thanks, Patski! The space issue is also a very good point.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM

Have you found the forums on the APQS website? Lots of good info and knowledgeable folks over there.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM

Yes, I've been scouring them for a bit tonight and you're right, there is a ton of information there, thank you!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

I'm pretty sure Ricky Tims uses the George sitdown for all of his quilting.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Pretty much all the big names (and some of the little ones) have sit down machines now. Handiquilter, Babylock, APQS, Nolting, Tin Lizzy, Gammill- all have sit downs. Figure out what features you want, how good your dealer support is, and what your price tag is. There is a lot of information about all of them.

That being said, I bought a Sweet 16 from Handiquilter a few years back. I used to live very close to the Nolting factory, and they were willing to make me one (great folks, BTW), but I liked the amount of support available for the HQ. I had to convince my dealer to let me buy it (they kept trying to sell me a frame setup), but they did a good job at setting it up when it arrived. I mostly get my support from the web, but some people need more hands-on help. Figure out your own style and go with it.

Pam
Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM

I have the Babylock Tiara, and love it. I tried the George, but went with the Babylock since the dealer is close and dependable. I have a friend who bought a George and likes hers!