Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: george midarm

george midarm

I never heard of this machine dose anyone have/use one?how dose it differ from HQ16 what are all your thoughts on midarms http://www.mrquilt.com/George/Machine/ thanks

I have the HQ Sweet 16 (sit down model) and the main difference is the way you face the machine. With the S-16 you're facing the needle with space on either side and behind for your quilt. The S-16 also has a higher throat area so that you can stuff a larger quilt behind the needle as you work. The George (which I've never heard of) compares more to the new Tin Lizzie.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I've never heard of the George. Interesting. Still out of my budget tho. Tks for the post.

Blog Entries
    I think Pat Sloan uses a George.

I watched a demistration of a Lady using the George sit down quilting machine on a Fon and Porter TV show. I was very impressed. I wish I had room for it. It is only a quilting machine, doesn't do anything else.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It is like a regular sewing machine only with a big throat. I prefer a long arm that is on a table and you quide the machine instead of the fabric.

Rather than spend that much money on that machine, I would get the 17" Bailey AND the frame and have quite a bit of cash left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    It is like a regular sewing machine only with a big throat. I prefer a long arm that is on a table and you quide the machine instead of the fabric.
    me too,there is no comparison to a machine on a frame.Imagine the needle is your pen-would you rather move the pen or the paper to draw.that's my opinion anyway
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    The George is a great machine in essence it is the same as the APQS Lenni or Lucy machine only it is set into a 5 foot table. So the machine is a big throat longarm machine but just inset into a table that takes up a lot less room than a longarm frame. I think it is the same elk as the HQ Sweet 16.
    I have a Lenni and sat and played with a George machine at a show where my friend was doing a demo on another longarm on a frame. Great machine my hubby wants one to do his thread art quilts!!!!!

Jenny

I was able to demo a sit down George. It stitched nicely, but I ended up purchasing the HQ Sweet 16 for quite a bit less $$. Also less of an industrial look than the George, and I love it! I don't have room for a frame, so have to stick to sit down machines.

APQS has a George sitdown machine. I have a friend that has one and she likes it. Since it is a sitdown you move the fabric rather than the machine. I opted for a longarm because I find it easier to move the machine rather than the fabric. I did think about the George for a period of time, however.