Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvrana Viking Mega Quilter >

Husqvrana Viking Mega Quilter

Husqvrana Viking Mega Quilter

Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I have this machine. I bought it with a Grace frame and I have a stitch regulator. I have had it over 6 years. I have the clear round (with a slight metal ring) foot on it for free motion quilting plus the plate that covers the feed dogs. I don't see how you can't have the place (K) where the thread goes through. I have my Pressure foot pressure at 0, the stitch length at 2 and the tension on the thread guide at 2. I have quilted hundreds of quilts on it and love it. Throat space is not great but row by row I get them done!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Default viking mega quilter

Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
I have this machine. I bought it with a Grace frame and I have a stitch regulator. I have had it over 6 years. I have the clear round (with a slight metal ring) foot on it for free motion quilting plus the plate that covers the feed dogs. I don't see how you can't have the place (K) where the thread goes through. I have my Pressure foot pressure at 0, the stitch length at 2 and the tension on the thread guide at 2. I have quilted hundreds of quilts on it and love it. Throat space is not great but row by row I get them done!
Thank you for the information. I will give it a try as soon as I finish this top. As for the (K) thread guide I see
no place for the thread. I will take a picture and try sending it so maybe someone can compare and see
if a wire guide is missing. Thank you again
Old 01-03-2015, 04:26 PM

I am also looking at an used 4 year old mega quilter I am not sure if I want this- I have heard that there is tension problems does anyone know how much I should pay for one also any information would be helpful does this free motion well that is really what I want it for I am currently quilting on my designer one and hveing some problems with doing it I would be interested in any nd all information anyone can give. aslo as for the manaual just on online andye in huskvarna mega quilter manul and you can downloan it I did last night so I would know about what I may be getting thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 04:30 PM

please let me know how much I should pay for 4 year old meg quilter and any other information on mega quilter would be helpful thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 03:36 AM

I use my mega quilter for free motion quilting. You set the stitch length to zero, cover the feed dogs and set the presser foot pressure to zero. I bought a open toe FMQ foot and modified it according to directions from Leah Day (google for her website). The modification keeps the foot from hopping up and down. This makes it a little easier to FMQ.

A few have recently sold on ebay for $500. That is for the machine and table, no frame.

I've had mine for about 7 years. You do have to adjust the tension based on thread and fabric being used. It also is a bit more involved to thread it than threading most modern machines.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Up above the needle thread guide is a flat piece of metal that is sort of "U" shaped, the thread goes through that and then down to the guide next to the needle. I have a manual and a video on how to set up the quilting table for quilting. Do not know how to send you the manual copy. I looked at the one online and it is like mine. Mine has a speed control for quilting, that was extra $$'s. I don't use it much because of the small space for quilting on the frame. Basically use it for small quilts, as it rolls up the space for quilting get smaller! The quilt shop I got it from sucks!! No HELP at all, they just wanted my $$'s. It does have a nice stitch and sews super fast. Let me know if I can be of help. You can get a walking foot from Machine Parts. Com. Mine was broken, the one that came with the machine, the shop wanted $129.00 and I got my for $70+.

Last edited by Pat M.; 01-04-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:34 PM

thanks Pat the one I am looking at is 4 years old, I am wanting it for free motion quilting and it does have the three speed control I wish it had more space for working area it is about 1 inch more then my designer 1. But I was wanting to save my designer 1 for embroidery mainly- I cant afford new one and I can get this one for $500 if she hasn't sold it I am not sure if I want this or save for something better.. Question would you buy the mega quilter again? And will I go crazy trying adjust tension. does the free motion work well for you? thanks
Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM

I had a Mega Quilter and found free motion quilting to be a disaster. Was told to use 40 wt thread top and bottom (which worked better once I got the bobbin tension adjusted) but it never did complete any item for me w/out some issue. I even bought a separate bobbin case just for free motion work. I hope you have better luck. I finally got rid of mine for a Pfaff, which is definitely more user friendly.