Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I almost lost it >

I almost lost it

I almost lost it

Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Default I almost lost it

My thimble!!! DH had surgery on his toe today and I took along a quilt I am working on (we were there 7 hrs) and this evening when I got ready to pick up my quilt again to work on, I couldn't find my thimble. It wouldn't be a big deal except it is a Thimblelady thimble, and I didn't want to have to spend $50 to replace it. But, I found it...in the trash can! I had emptied my quilting bag and turned it upside down over the thrash can to get out the little bits and didn't realize my thimble was still in there. I had gone out to search the car and DH had just started going through the trash can when I came back in and just as I walked up I spotted it in the can. I was so happy and relieved.

Perhaps some of you can relate to my distress.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:04 PM

I have a ripper that is called Rip Tweezer http://www.riptweezer.com/ that I love. They hide from me all the time. I go nuts until I find them. I ordered myself a couple more so I can have them in more than one place.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

​I bet that got the old heart pounding! I get that panicky feeling when I lose something important.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:22 PM

So glad you found it. I have a bottle opener/church key that has a magnet on it I keep on the side of the refrigerator. It has been missing since Christmas day. Even went out and bought another one, believing that would make it show up. But it is still hiding. Every time I open a drawer I look for it, still driving me nuts.

(My daughters thought I made up the name church key, then they thought about ordering one on Amazon because we couldn't find one locally and was surprised to find the term on line.)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:45 AM

I am very careful about where I put my trash container in relationship to work space for fear of pushing something over the edge and losing something important. When I find tools I like I want to be sure I don't throw them away accidently. It has happened! I am glad you found your thimble.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:04 AM

I'm glad that you and your dh found your thimble lady thimble! Thank goodness he knows how much it means to you that he was also looking as diligently for it! How sweet.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:27 AM

I love my Thimblelady thimble and would have been distraught as well! The $50 would have been insult enough to have to replace it but the time in transit would have made me even more irritated! Glad you found it.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 AM

So glad you found it. There is nothing like PANIC!!! when you lose one of your favorite sewing/quilting tools.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you should make an etwe (not sure of the spelling anymore) to hold it in. It is a throwback from victorian times that hung around your neck or from your belt at your waist. Little bags held your scissors and thimble and a little pin keep. With that kind on money to replace it, I think maybe a special spot would be justified.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

My neighbor does all kinds of quilting. She uses sticky Velcro attached to the outside or her 1" large hoop and the other side to a small needle keeper with a pocket for a couple thimbles.