Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I almost lost it >

I almost lost it

I almost lost it

Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

The spelling is of the sewing tool holder is an etui, boy was I off with that spelling!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:39 AM

I can't tell you how many times I've knocked my scissors, tweezers, bobbins, whatever is there into my trash which resides to the right of me. So far I've been able to get to it before my hubby emptys the trash. Sometimes I have to tell him to wait on emptying it so I can look inside.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Things I've found in the trash (thank goodness) include my car keys and my wedding ring. I've also found the car keys in the freezer. Glad you found the thimble.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Maybe you should make an etwe (not sure of the spelling anymore) to hold it in. It is a throwback from victorian times that hung around your neck or from your belt at your waist. Little bags held your scissors and thimble and a little pin keep. With that kind on money to replace it, I think maybe a special spot would be justified.
I've made a Chatelaine. It is the same as you describe. It's a length of velvet ribbon with loops on both ends. One end holds a pair of scissors and the other end holds a small bag that holds my thimble. The second loop also holds a strawberry cushion for sharpening my needles. I originally made to use when doing hand embroidery but now also use it when doing any hand sewing.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 PM

I do need to make something like the etui or chatelaine, going to do some googling for ideas. DH said "keep up w/that thing", lol I thought I was. He always helps me look for the things I loose and he almost always finds them!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:30 AM

So glad you found it! I have to keep the trash can at my sewing table back against the wall instead of at the convenient area in the front so important things don't fall off the table into it accidentally---I learned through experience.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 AM

My cat like to knock things off surfaces... so there's room for him. I find scissors on the floor, spools of thread, bobbins, .... so I make a special place for him wherever I'm working. Had to iron a spot on my pressing table and actually put him on it to be able to use my sewing machine!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:00 AM

I'm so glad you found it!!!! I think I would also have to come up w/ something to put it in so that would never have to go thru that again!

Church key bottle opener....Never heard of that term, had to look it up. I would have just called it an old-fashioned bottle opener. LOL!!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by sash View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've knocked my scissors, tweezers, bobbins, whatever is there into my trash which resides to the right of me. So far I've been able to get to it before my hubby emptys the trash. Sometimes I have to tell him to wait on emptying it so I can look inside.
The janitor and I at work had an agreement: when I wanted my trash emptied, I set the container by the door. Many occasions I needed to look at something again. My Aunt and Uncle gave me a sewing scissors when I was a teenager, over 50 yrs ago. Our children knew it was not to be used. It got lots of use through the years, but now it sits where I can see it everyday.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 AM

I'm glad you found it. I have a thimblelady thimble, also and would hate to have to replace it.

In a simiar vein,I just lost my little gym bag, containing my gloves, my towel, and resistance band. I would stick in the car door and it must have fallen out somewhere that I didn't notice. The worst part was losing my fairly new workout gloves. Luckily, I had bought 2 pairs.