Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick about this.  My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!! >

I am just sick about this. My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!!

I am just sick about this. My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM

I'll bet it's not the rulers. I'll bet it's that plastic table you're using to cut on. Take the mat off and put something long and straight across the table and I'll bet you'll find it's bowed in slightly in the middle. Most of them are.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Thank you everyone. To answer a few questions:

--The fireplace seen under the peg boards is a hideous eyesore that divides the master bedroom and the sitting area. We have never used it once since buying the house so no heat is coming from that.

--There are 3 large windows in the area (it is a hexagon shaped area about 10 by 10 feet). We have the windows covered in privacy rice paper--the kind you get at Home Depot and apply to the windows with water and soap. I also have some corrugated plastic up in some areas where a lot of sun comes in. Yes, there is a lot of daylight but not unfiltered sun.

--The peg board above the tile and the board over the tile are 2 different pieces. We had to do that because the tile extends out from the wall by about 1.5 inches. So the top board is flush to the wall and the bottom board is flush against the tile (my DH used a piece of board to act as a ledge just above the tile that extends out enough to attach the peg board so it is flush against the tile.

--I was wondering if the type of pegs I used was causing the warp?? All the pegs I've seen always create a gap between the item hung and the pegboard (about a half inch or so).

I just don't know what to do and I don't have enough wall space to try hanging these on another wall.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I have had my rulers hanging on my peg board for at least 10 years. The only thing I can think of is either heat ducts behind/below the peg board or sunlight shining on them.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Well dang. IT is the table!!! I tried my rulers on my sewing cabinet table and they are as flat as can be. Then I tried them on the very end of the cutting table and they were flat as well but once you move them in towards the middle area, the ruler bows.

I used a 72 inch table similar to this from Costco for 3 years but when I got my Florie sewing table in August, I had to find a smaller table and got a 60 inch one off Amazon. Same type of table support system and heavy duty but it obviously has a lot more give to the table top than the Costco ones.

I am coveting my daughter's bedroom but she just started college so I'll have to wait at least a few years before I slide right in there. She knows I am very eagerly anticipating it. Her room is going to make a gorgeous sewing room!!! I'll have to be patient. At that time, I can use my longer Costco tables.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:54 PM

So sorry that happened. Everyone has such good suggestions. I will say I have used pegboards for years and have never had any problems with any of my rulers. I don't have a lot of heat in the room and there is never any sun. My table does sag slightly in the center. I am contemplating putting a door or piece of plywood on top of it to make it more even.

Edited to add: While I was typing, you solved your own problem. Tables do cause us to question ourselves.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:56 PM

excellent observation!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Easy fix. Just get a piece of plywood 1/2" thick and cut the exact measurements of the table. Not the measurement of the cutting mat. If you get the plywood 1/2" and size accordingly (make sure it isn't warped). Have DH use a level also. That should take care of it. you might want to paint it.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

The exact measurements of the table from end to end will keep it balanced. Oak is good and solid.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:35 PM

Well, the good news is I can hang my rulers back on my pegboard and still look at it and smile again!!! Thanks for the suggestions of a board over the table. I'll look into that.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:07 PM

The hanging holes are in the center of the rulers. Perhaps, they are pulling against themselves and causing the warp------------nothing to do with the pegboard, maybe.