Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am at my wits end!!!! >

I am at my wits end!!!!

I am at my wits end!!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Default I am at my wits end!!!!

So I've been working on quilting a queen sized quilt as a wedding present for my BIL and we are coming up on the 1-year anniversary already. I thought this would be done back in May, but that's a whole other topic!!!

The problems I have been having and why I keep putting off finishing this is the FMQing. First I can't get the tension right (it works on my sample but when I try the actual quilt it is/was all wrong), but I got that fixed. Now, the problem I have been having for the past times I try to tackle quilting it is the top thread keeps breaking. I have tried machine quilting thread, all purpose thread, and invisible thread in various brands. I have changed the needle numerous times finally ending with an metallic embroidery needle that seems to be working the best out of them all. The top thread seems to fray and then break. Sometimes I can get a good 10 minutes in before it breaks and then sometimes as little as 20 stitches and then it breaks!!! I have even tried Sewers Aid on the thread to lubricate it.

It's no wonder why this quilt is taking so long. I would like to take a match to it and just forget the whole thing. It is about 80-85% done, but I am ready to kick this quilt to the curb!!

Any suggestions?? cause I seem to be out of them. The only thing I am wondering about is perhaps it's the batting. It is an all natural bamboo batting similar to Warm and Natural. This is my first time using that kind of batting, but I honestly wouldn't think it would cause my thread to break.

Some vacation day - noon and I am thinking it's time for a mid-day glass of wine...
Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 AM

Nice, deep breaths now!! I have the same problem with thread shredding after a short amount of quilting on my Viking. Don't know what machine you have. One thing I learned on the Viking is not to drop my feed dogs. I was pushing and pulling the quilt too fast when the feed dogs were down and this seemed to shred the thread. My ultimate solution to this problem was to buy a Sweet 16 sit down machine. Not a cheap solution but a solution none the less.

Maybe try with your feed dogs up. Sounds like you've tried everything else. Good luck, and I'll share that glass of whine (I mean wine LOL) with you.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM

Do you have the weight of the quilt supported so that nothing hangs down and pulls the quilt?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear! I am so sorry you are going through this. I am wondering if somehow there is a burr on the throat plate that is causing the thread to shred. Do you have a single hole throat plate? I have heard that this helps a lot.

I have never tried the bamboo batting and now I might not ever after hearing your account of it.

I like to use either a machine quilting or denim needle. The denim one has a large eye and deeper channel to protect the thread, and a sharp large point to pierce through layers of fabric . There is a top stitching needle that is sometimes an option too. It has the qualities of the denim needle but a smaller needle tip.

I don't know if any of this helped. But, I feel your pain quilt sister!

PS) There is the option of renting a long arm at most local quilt stores. It sounds like you are so close you could get one day and have it done.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-11-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM

I am sewing with a Viking machine, feed dogs up, extension table w/ quilt supported by the large dining room table. I have given up critiquing my quilting, as it's too far gone to pick out and sent to be long-armed. I may try a different machine later (maybe tomorrow). I have some cheese to go with my whine(wine) too!! It's just one of those frustrating projects, ya know? I am sure we all get one of those every now and then.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Oh dear! I am so sorry you are going through this. I am wondering if somehow there is a burr on the throat plate that is causing the thread to shred. Do you have a single hole throat plate? I have heard that this helps a lot.

I have never tried the bamboo batting and now I might not ever after hearing your account of it.

I like to use either a machine quilting or denim needle. The denim one has a large eye and deeper channel to protect the thread, and a sharp large point to pierce through layers of fabric . There is a top stitching needle that is sometimes an option too. It has the qualities of the denim needle but a smaller needle tip.

I don't know if any of this helped. But, I feel your pain quilt sister!
Never thought to check the throat plate. Will do that after lunch. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

PS) There is the option of renting a long arm at most local quilt stores. It sounds like you are so close you could get one day and have it done.

???
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Run your finger around the needle, the top and bottom of the stitch plate hole, and even around the bobbin area to see if you can feel any type of burr. Any burr will shred thread. It's a fairly easy fix with gentle use of an emery board or jeweler's sandpaper.

Also, try setting tension according to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Although the video is for longarms, it works for domestic machines too.

Check that the top thread is feeding evenly and not getting caught on something before it ever gets through the tension discs.

Also, clean lint from bobbin area, underneath needle plate, and run *unwaxed* dental floss around the top tension discs with presser foot up (to clear out any lint or bit of thread that might be stuck in there).

A large topstitch needle can help. (Topstitch needles have a larger hole, so less stress on thread.) Try a size 14 or even 16 needle.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM

I second RedGarnet's thoughts on the denim needle. It saved me many headaches.

I have discovered that my pulling and pushing causes a bit of needle deflection, too, and can lead to skipped stitches. The denim needle solved that one, as well.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 AM

As well as the other suggestions, try slowing down your hand movement and machine speed. If I move my quilt too fast I'll get thread breakage.

I've used the bamboo batting with good success - quilted on a DSM.

good luck and persevere!! You're almost done!