Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe I said I don't need more FABRIC >

I can't believe I said I don't need more FABRIC

I can't believe I said I don't need more FABRIC

Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 AM

I recently discouraged my husband from planning our annual trip from Canada to Lancaster so I could buy material. Money is tight. It's that simple and its the elelphant in the room.
The cost of material in Canada, discounting sales is easily twice that of the states and even in our local jobber's outlet averages $10 a yard for the good stuff. I do I buy on line from the states, but only infrequently now. With the exchange and the postage its still cheaper. I know someone yesterday posted about keeping your lqs in business but I just can't afford it. I will make do.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:18 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

What is a "jobber's outlet"? And what do they have there?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:29 AM

They buy up ends of lines or overstock.
MK
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Is it mostly quilting fabric that they have? Or clothing & home dec fabrics too?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Is it mostly quilting fabric that they have? Or clothing & home dec fabrics too?
Everything from soup to nuts, BUT half the store is fabric. Cotton, upholstery, tapestry, nylon, costuming notions etc.
Everything but heavy hardware.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 AM

I hear you sister. I don't need anymore fabric and money is a little tight here too. Problem is that I'll be in Lancaster soon bringing my newbie quilter sister to the local fabric shops and hope I can resist the bargins. I'm going to concentrate on extra wide fabrics that are good price. I love to use them for backing my larger quilts, saving the trimmings for my scrappy quilts. Usually buy cream or beige with light design, even if it doesn't 'match' the quilt top the back looks nice.

Did spend a bit at LQS last week, used a gift card for part of the fabrics but they are for DGD's special quilt, again all leftovers and trimmings go into the scrappy quilts.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I hear you sister. I don't need anymore fabric and money is a little tight here too. Problem is that I'll be in Lancaster soon bringing my newbie quilter sister to the local fabric shops and hope I can resist the bargins. I'm going to concentrate on extra wide fabrics that are good price. I love to use them for backing my larger quilts, saving the trimmings for my scrappy quilts. Usually buy cream or beige with light design, even if it doesn't 'match' the quilt top the back looks nice.

Did spend a bit at LQS last week, used a gift card for part of the fabrics but they are for DGD's special quilt, again all leftovers and trimmings go into the scrappy quilts.
Well then find Sauder's. They had 6 yard bundles @ $2-3/yd Enough for backings. I bought ten the last time I was there.
Have fun.
MK
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

<------jumps in to take MK's temperature!
Definitely, not well ... better rush you to the hospital!!!! :)

Great store ... and the danger part is that MK lives almost around the corner from it. For me, just a few miles away and pass by regularly. And when she says soup to nuts, she's serious .... and everything, but the kitchen sink!

A lot of the stuff is consistent inventory. And some of it is here today and gone tomorrow, never the more to be seen!

They support quilters well, and have many quilts on show that have been sold at auction! Plus they take the fabric on the road to large needlecraft shows, etc. And you don't even miss it if you are in the store at that time!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Where are you shopping in Guelph? The only places that I've found to buy fabric is Len's Mills (my preferred location) Greenwood Quiltery (too expensive unless it is on sale) Triangle Sewing Centre (had a huge problem with my Janome there and won't go back) and Fabricland (don't like their stuff). Where is the jobber's locale as I am frequently in Guelph?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM

im headed to lancaster to meet up with some quilting friends from out of state, anxiously saving my pennies to be traded for fabric at the country store, zooks, sauders, burholders hayloft and all of the great places, drooling just thinking of it!!