Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't stop! >

I can't stop!

I can't stop!

Old 05-28-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

If you find yourself gravitating to the scraps, that must be what makes you happy right now. You're still quilting.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Seriously. I thought the other day that I really should finish the unfinished objects. Then I said, gee, life is short. Why would I spend it doing something that stalled out because I didn't like it, or whatever.

Do what's fun. Don't worry about the UFO's. Dig into that fabric. Remember, someday, somebody's going to have to figure out what to do with it. Let it be you ;-).

This is your HOBBY. Don't make it a chore.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:21 AM

I find myself going to the strings and scraps (my grandmother called it piddling!) when something is either bothering me or I have something on my mind. Once I work through whatever it is I go back to what I was working on. I don't see it has a problem, just a detour.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:34 PM

Sinceresissy, You are doing what I 'began' with when I started quilting. But, now I'm more like quiltsRfun -- at least as to inventory of fabrics. I am good at completing quilts but I have enough 'plans' for the next dozen or more. Disciplining myself is near impossible when I walk into a quilt shop. The challenge is refusing to go into a shop in the first place. Pretty difficult when I belong to a BOM group that is hosted by the best fabric shop around. Like kids in a toy store.....
And, I like to encourage new quilters to find 'just what they need' to have successful quilts completed. I'll drive there and help them and then help myself even when I 'had' no intention of buying.
I think it's time to go on a real fabric fast.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:39 PM

I just sit and sew strings and crumbs at least once day a week, I love the mindless sewing, nothing to line up, no points to worry about. To me it's a relaxing day.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Do like Bonnie hunter says, if you don't like the fabric cut it up into smaller pieces.
Originally Posted by sinceresissy View Post
I try not to buy ahead nor do I cut ahead. An idea pops in my brain or I see something I want to make I try to control myself in buying material until I am half way through the project I am working on. I bought a lot of green material a couple of years ago with an idea in mind for a quilt and I have lost interest. I have all this green fabric and it looks ugly to me now. I am using it up gradually but I hope I have learned my lesson of buying too far in advance. I will sometimes cut my scraps into 2-1/2" squares but mostly I just wait until I am ready to start thinking about the next quilt.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It is physically difficult for me to quilt anything larger than a baby quilt and with my disability, I enjoy more of the process of designing and making the top. Pass your scraps on to others who might enjoy using your scraps! Quilting is a hobby, not a chore. We should have fun and enjoy the quilting process!
When I finish my "big"quilt, I am going to use up my excess fabric by making blankies for the dog and cats at the Animal Rescue - the dog size is 30x30" and the cat size is 18x24". Then when a pet is adopted, they get the quilt. I made a quilt for my dog and she loves it! That way you are using up your fabric, it is going for a good cause and you will be loaded with warm fuzzies for each one you finish and donate. Happy quilting to you. Edie
Old 05-29-2016, 03:33 AM

Go for the scraps, they are fabric too! You are getting them done. I'm hooked on little log cabins.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:17 AM

Hey nothing wrong with scraps. I love making scrappies. While I'm sewing with scraps, memories of what I used all the fabrics for comes back. It is relaxing too - no points, etc.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:17 AM

How about sharing those UFOs with others on the board who may have limited funds? Many of them would welcome the fabric and/or partly finished project. That's a win win!!