Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I stop the dye from running? >

Can I stop the dye from running?

Can I stop the dye from running?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:16 PM

I went to wash the blue fabric I planned to use for the blue and yellow swap last night, and the dye ran something wicked. I was relieved I hadn't used it in anything! Then this morning when I laid it out to dry I realised there's a bit missing off the bottom. :shock: I DID use it! Arrrrggggghhhhhh!

I've use a small piece of it in a baltimore block, which is set on a pale tan background, perfect for showing off runny blue lines of dye. *sob*

It's not that big a deal, it's one block so I can remake it. But is there anyway to wash the block and NOT have that blue run?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Oh Blue I am so sorry!!! I am wondering if Bubble Jet would keep it from running?? Hopefully other's here will know!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I have had pieces of fabric (not many, but a few) that still ran after changing the water at least 30 times.

I finally just discarded it. By that time it was looking a little less than fresh, and I was just plain fed up with it.

No point in ruining anything else with that "bad apple"
Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Do you have the sheets you add to the wash to catch stray dye? I'd give it plenty of water and keep fingers crossed.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM

I don't know if we can get those sheets here, I haven't seen them. Mind you, haven't really looked!

I do have some bubble jet though.... I might throw it in a bucket with that.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:44 PM

Hey Blue, I've had some good luck setting deep colors with white vinegar diluted with some water and I have also read where salt in water should also work to set the color(I haven't tried this one yet). Good luck and let us know what worked for you.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM

You may want to check out this thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/23505.page

It mentions a few products that might help you. I would try a test swatch (sew some of that blue fabric on some white fabric) and see what happens when you use one or products on this thread.

I also have found Dye Grabber (you can get this at JoAnns or some grocery stores) will work to 'grab' dye that releases in the washing machine.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks. :-)

We don't have a Joanns here. I will see if I can get some dye grabber from somewhere next week. Will ask at my LQS if we get it here.

I've put the big piece of fabric in a bucket with the Jet Stop stuff, it says on the bottle that it prevents runs and sets dyes. It looks like the water is still going blue though, so not sure if it would be enough for the Baltimore block.

I'm kind of over the panic now... if I have to remake it, it's no big deal. So will be a bit of an experiement to see if I can set the dye! :-)
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Thanks. :-)

We don't have a Joanns here.
Whoops! I just realized you live in New Zealand. Of course, you wouldn't have a JoAnn's there. Sorry! But, good luck and keep us posted on your experiment.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but what a relief that it happened now before you made a bunch of swap blocks!! I hate it for your applique block though. Hope your experiment is working. I use the "Shout"---color catchers and I really like them. If you want...I can send you some....let me know...