Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't use a rotary cutter >

I can't use a rotary cutter

I can't use a rotary cutter

Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM

I am left-handed and I think I do everything backwards from a right-handed person. I cannot cut with a rotary cutter having the cutter go away from me...it is always crooked. So (I hope the quilt patrol doesn't read this!), I use the rotary cutter coming towards me......it works!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

I don't have time tonight to read all the resonses but so far I havn't seen any info about what brand of cutter is being used. So cant give good advice.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM

You have no idea how much fabric i have ruined because of the same issue you are having!!! I invested in many devices , but I found something that has been a God-send!!! It is the june tailor slotted rulers!!! Got it at Joannes ....google it to see what it is!!! Fantastic!!!! :-)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Oooooo shame on u!!! :lol: Have you tried the slotted rulers by june tailor? Great invention!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure what the name of the tool is, but it's a ruler that has slits at regularly spaced slots - you insert the rotary cutter and cut within those slits, it might be an Accucut ruler thing. I've seen them used, and it might help your problem. Just a suggestion. Good luck - hang in there and may go to LQS, have someone watch you cut and they may be able to figure out what you are doing wrong. Don't give up.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by capucine
Haha you sound like one of my kind Cheers to all the quilters.

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
I stopped drinking when I am cutting. It helps a lot :P
:thumbup:
I'll drink to that!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 PM

For the ruler you can get little sand paper tabs to fit on the bottoms of your ruler or a lady last night at the store had a new ruler that already has the little tabs already on the ruler.

I'm left handed and the first class I took was just the basics, how to hold the blade, how much pressure to put on the blade, fabric - how to choose colors, about selvage and length of fabric. What type of ruler to buy, etc we never even sewed anything in that class it was literally all about the basics. I learned to change sides the blades were on, and how much pressure to use to cut through the fabric.

I still feel like I'm learning a new trick, short cut every time I go to class. Don't be discouraged we've all been a new student at some point.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD
I'm not sure what the name of the tool is, but it's a ruler that has slits at regularly spaced slots - you insert the rotary cutter and cut within those slits, it might be an Accucut ruler thing. I've seen them used, and it might help your problem. Just a suggestion. Good luck - hang in there and may go to LQS, have someone watch you cut and they may be able to figure out what you are doing wrong. Don't give up.
I have one its made by June Tailor and its called Straight Cuts, I know there's others out there. I bought this one at Walmart for about $18
Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM

You might check out the TruCut Rotary Cutter from the Grace Co. I bought one and I really like it. The Rotary Cutter attaches to the side of the ruler to hold it in place.
It is a little pricey. I bought both the 6 x 24 ruler and the rotary cutter, and the ruler grips as a package deal at Tuesday Mornings for the price of just the rotary cutter.
www.graceframe.com/site/rotarycutting
Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 PM

also is your ruler slipping that is what i had a problem with. i also got a june tayler ruler with the slits, what a difference it makes.the rotary cutter fits in the slot and is guided then.