Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't use a rotary cutter >

I can't use a rotary cutter

I can't use a rotary cutter

Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cosy
My problem is not slippage, at least not so much. My problem is getting the fabric actually cut. Even with a brand new blade, even cutting single layers, I get a lot of skips, where the fabric just isn't cut. If I go back, then the 2nd cut doesn't quite line up. I have an olfa 45 ml that I use mostly. I work on either my dinner table or the kitchen counter, the height doesn't seem to make a diference. I end up either using scissors or for strips, tearing. Any advice here?
Is your mat flat or worn? Sounds like it might be your mat of you've replaced the blade. Gosh, those blades are SOOOOO sharp, I can't imagine them not cutting through a single layer. Maybe just try more pressure???
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Have you tried a left handed rotary cutter?
I don't know whether anyone's tried it other than myself, but the Fiskars cutters are universal. You can have the blade to either side, just unscrew the blade holder and move everything to the other side. The retract button isn't movable, but otherwise it works fine and is a lot less than $52.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kathome
Is your mat flat or worn? Sounds like it might be your mat of you've replaced the blade. Gosh, those blades are SOOOOO sharp, I can't imagine them not cutting through a single layer. Maybe just try more pressure???
The mat is quite new, seems to be flat, can't see any particularly worn areas. I do use a lot of pressure....
Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 AM

My problem is not slippage, at least not so much. My problem is getting the fabric actually cut. Even with a brand new blade, even cutting single layers, I get a lot of skips, where the fabric just isn't cut. If I go back, then the 2nd cut doesn't quite line up. I have an olfa 45 ml that I use mostly. I work on either my dinner table or the kitchen counter, the height doesn't seem to make a diference. I end up either using scissors or for strips, tearing. Any advice here?
I found that I was holding the cutter at too small an angle to the cutting board. When you do this, the nut can run on the ruler and make the blade skip areas. Make sure you have the cutter at 45 degrees at least. Ann
Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 AM

I have left handed scissor, left handed pinkers, and use them right handed. Yeah, I know, makes no sense. I just can't use them left handed. So I never waste money buying stuff made for lefties. I do just about everything except eat and write with my right hand, except use this rotary cutter.

I will try to find some of the sandpaper dots for the ruler. I have a 17 inch long clear one, the longest I saw in the store. I tried using the cutter after reversing the blade, and it makes a world of difference.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 AM

I had a good friend with the same problem and she was about ready to give up on trying to learn to quilt. No one ever noticed that her blade had not been moved from the "factory" side to the side for lefties. It really did make a big difference.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM

If this is a new blade, again I suggest looking very closely. You may have 2 blades in there as they tend to stick together. If it is a used blade, I have personal experience with skipped cutting. Usually it's because I have bumped into a pin and that has damaged the blade. Very frustrating!!! And as usual, it is a new blade that gets the damage, too. Add that to Murphy's list of Laws. I have the Taylor ruler, too, and it is great but I know what you are talking about with the "perforated" strips. I haven't solved that either but these are some suggestions anyhow.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM

I cannot cut straight either I have tried everything than I descovered the June Tayler slotted ruler which helps a lot. Then one day I went to Joanns with a coupon and bought a cutting system that looks just like the cutter I use for scrapbooking. It is great I am not home so cant look for sure but I think it was made by Dewberry with coupon price wasn't bad and after a little pratice it cuts wonderful straight strips
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM

I am left handed and my Hubby bought me the Olfa yellow handle cutter. All you do is switch the blade to the other side of the cutter. It comes set up for right handed people. Good Luck. Karen
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Have you tried the June Tailor shape cut rulers or the quarter cut ruler....Something like that may help you.