Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Did It!! Paper-piecing is now my friend!

Talking I Did It!! Paper-piecing is now my friend!

Let me preface by saying I am a big chicken when it comes to trying new techniques and I have been really working on being bold and fearless in the face of all things quilty that intimidate me. When I have learned a new technique in the past, it has always been in a class setting, with a patient teacher holding my hand and guiding me along. Well due to recent budget constraints, I could not afford to take a class in paper piecing - something I REALLY wanted to learn. I checked out the tutorials here and on youtube and borrowed a book from my library. I set aside the day today to tackle my first block - a virtually idiot-proof basket block. And it worked!!!

I have been giggling maniacally from the sewing room all afternoon. Yes, I had to whip out my trusty seam ripper (took a minute to figure out the whole backward thing) but I have been seduced by the perfect points and promise of a glowing future filled with lovely, pointy stars. Sigh, I feel like a teenage girl on her first date. Move over Tom Welling, Paper Piecing is my new love!!!

PS I'll get a photo posted - just have to finish making dinner!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Yea all is fun and games until you have to rip out all that paper LOL
    Nancy

I must be a total sicko - I actually LIKE that part! It's official, I'm a freak!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    Congrats! I love Paper Piecing too. It's great. I like taking out the paper too. If you have really small pieces of paper, I've found stamp tongs are great.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    good for you....PPing is SOOOOO much fun...and if you use a small enough stitch, microtex needle and 60wt thread that paper will fall off! I too don't mind the paper, because it is like unwrapping a pressie!

Oh I love the paper piecing technique. Always such a perfect outcome. I also like taking off the paper.

I feel like you when I tried it. It was really fun.

I want to make a quilt with a whole bunch of "neat" designs. I started a box of interesting shapes. Even found a dress design--I thought it would be neat to make a quilt with a bunch of different dresses.

Just "so much to do, so little time"...so why I am here on the computer???

I LOVE PP too but hate taking the paper off. I just finished taking the paper off of a King Sized Quilt ALL Paper Pieced....that might be why I hate it right now...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85 View Post
    Yea all is fun and games until you have to rip out all that paper LOL
    Don't mind ripping the paper off the back, i just don't like cleaning up all the little bits of paper that miss the trash can........
    Doreen

they are going to have a class for us here in town this winter, i have been waiting for
    that because that is something i would like to try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast