Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I do the lock stitch so my needle doesn't come unthreaded >

I do the lock stitch so my needle doesn't come unthreaded

I do the lock stitch so my needle doesn't come unthreaded

Old 11-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Tiggersmom, you can subscribe to this post or search "lock stitch" and I'll bet you can find it again! If not pm me your email addy and I'll send it! I'm using Invisifil to close the back of Prairie Points and I love to quilt with it, too. This tip is priceless!

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Kitsie I've never seen that before, worth a try if I can remember how next time I do hand work.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Mine is like the lock stitch but instead of going through the thread, I thread in one direction, turn thread around and thread back in the other direction, then pull needle through the loop:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535723[/ATTACH]

This is how I work with embroidery thread and gives me a double thread. My ? is don't you end up with a double thread when you do this. Most quilting and finishing is done with a single thread. I know it doesn't matter but hiding two threads is harder than one thread when doing binding. Please let me know if I am wrong about this because I like the looping method. TFS
peace
Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Only if you pull both threads all the way down. The 2nd end of the thread just goes in enough to allow the loop to be long enough to pass over the needle tip and then cut it to an inch or so.

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
This is how I work with embroidery thread and gives me a double thread. My ? is don't you end up with a double thread when you do this. Most quilting and finishing is done with a single thread. I know it doesn't matter but hiding two threads is harder than one thread when doing binding. Please let me know if I am wrong about this because I like the looping method. TFS
peace
Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 PM

Kitsie, what a clever way to do it. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 AM

I don't hand sew too much but when I do, my needle is always coming unthreaded or twisting. I will definitely try your way Kitsy. Also I will try those John James needles that Tartan suggested. Thank you everyone!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Only if you pull both threads all the way down. The 2nd end of the thread just goes in enough to allow the loop to be long enough to pass over the needle tip and then cut it to an inch or so.
Very interesting. Thank you for the further explanation. This method is wonderful. TFS
peace
Old 11-17-2015, 03:48 AM

Thanks for that link. Hopefully the new lenses I will pick up Thurs. will allow me to do that.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:55 AM

Another thread today spoke of always being able to learn new things and tips on this board. Today, I have to tell you, this tip is one I have never seen or heard of before. And, I have been sewing for 70 years! I will have to give it a try-today. I really don't have much problem with needles coming unthreaded. I just love new hacks.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I always sew binding on with a double thread. I Thread the needle with double thread and leave two tails. I can then pull the tails shorter so thread doesn't fray.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:28 PM

Thank you for posting all this information. I have never done it this way, but I am going to try both the video way and the way Kitsie has shown. This Board is a great place to share tricks to make quilting easier. Thanks again.