Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't understand why? >

I don't understand why?

I don't understand why?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM

When I make scrappy quilts, I don't like a lot of repetition in my fabric combinations and I end up cutting my pieces separately and putting them together so my blocks are as varied as I can get them. The smallest squares I have used is 2.5" cutting them from jelly roll strips and strips cut from yardage. I don't think I could go smaller than that.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

The point of making a scrap quilt is to use up fabric scraps. Sure you are strip piece faster and easier but then you are not using up your scraps.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

When my little niece comes over she likes to take the smaller pieces and lay them out. Then she pieces them together on my used dryer sheets. They're Seventh Generation and perforated all through. When I'm done with them, I just put them under my iron rest to flatten them out. They ten to curl and you can split the sheets down the middle (3" strips). Just right for her and she whips out quite a nice size block in no time.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:51 PM

As I finish projects I cut the scrappy sized pieces (10" or less is my rule of thumb) into squares
1.5" and 2.5"
Then if I'm at lose ends in danger of starting something new, or chain piecing I use the twosiezes as leaders and enders.

Pretty soon I have pretty blocks.

That said, I have also made three Scrappy Trips quilts by strip piecing and they are cool too. It all works!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM

I would have to say I'm not cutting out 2'' squares out, I want to do something simple I like my piecing but that seems like a lot of work. I would rather sew strips together then sew them to make a 9 patch scrappy quilt. I really think it is better to do it that way because my points don't always match up. And when I just sew them together I don't always get my squares the right size for the quilt to look like I want it.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 View Post
I would have to say I'm not cutting out 2'' squares out, I want to do something simple I like my piecing but that seems like a lot of work. I would rather sew strips together then sew them to make a 9 patch scrappy quilt. I really think it is better to do it that way because my points don't always match up. And when I just sew them together I don't always get my squares the right size for the quilt to look like I want it.
i'm with you okmama! I am for quick and easy I guess and I don't think my stitching would be true enough to do all 2 or 21/2 " squares and have it square up. But as I stated, to each his own. Just the way I roll! and you too I guess.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:28 AM

That's another reason for my GO......when I want to be in my sewing cave, but don't really want to sew, I'll pull out GO, basket of larger scraps, and wring out my 2 1/2" squares...for leaders/enders...(scrap squares)..... Gets me back into sewing mode and empties out a bin! The fabric slivers go to guild for beds for local pet rescue/shelter....and the circle continues.....
Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 AM

many of us use them as leader/enders like Bonnie Hunter does.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:24 AM

I wouldn't think there would be a reason to write the instructions that way unless it is an old pattern. I sew my squares by hand so I cut individual squares. I usually cut with my rotary cutter but guess what? Sometimes if my back hurts I use a little template and sit in my chair watching TV and mark my squares and cut with the scissors. It's pretty relaxing that way and I can use small scraps up.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:17 AM

I made 2 quilts with 1" finished squares. I have to say by the end I was loving them little buggers. One I cut squares, threw them in a paper bag and pulled out and sewed one at a time. I truly wanted random. My only rule, I could not sew two same colors side by side. Someone said it reminder her of Skittles. It is a Burgoyne Surround.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521976[/ATTACH]

The other is a baby quilt. This one is strips because I had a really good variety. I think it really depends on the look you are going for.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521977[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails candys-quilt.jpg   sophias-quilt-2.jpg